Amending, decreasing, cancelling or deferring a loan

Increasing your loan

If you wish to increase your federal US Loans during the academic year and you have not previously requested up to the maximum in your Cost of Attendance (CoA), please email You cannot borrow more than the maximum CoA figure.

Decreasing your loan

If you wish to decrease your federal US loans please email The reduction will be spread across any remaining funds.

Cancelling your loan

If you wish to cancel your loan, please email at least two weeks before the upcoming disbursement date. There is a short period after receipt of your disbursement where you can ask the University to return federal loan funds to the US, but you will be responsible for all bank charges and fees if the payment has already been made.

If you wish to cancel your federal Loan and the timeframe for doing so through the University has passed, you can still make a payment direct to your lender. You are advised to contact your lender for up to date details on cancelling your loan – your lender details can be found on NSLDS.

If you cancel your federal loan after receiving a disbursement you are required to complete Exit Counselling.

Deferring a previous loan

If you have any previous loans which need repayment deferment you will need to advise your lender that you are 'in-school' and request that they send you a deferment form. Please complete your details on the form and either send it or drop it in at Information Point in order that it can be certified.

We are not able to sign any deferment forms until after you have started your course. Please provide us with a fax number if you would like it faxed to your lender, or an address in order that we can forward it on your behalf.

Back to top