Practical assistance for self-employment
UWE Bristol Enterprise offer information, guidance, funding, a range of support programmes, events, activities and even desk space to help you set up and run your own business.
Access resources, tips and tools to help you develop your business ideas via the Business Start-up section in the Careers Toolkit.
We offer coaching and guidance on topics such as early start-up planning, sign posting to resources, information on our funding sources, support programmes and other opportunities. You can book an initial appointment through the careers information and application help appointments.
The Factory is a UWE Bristol Enterprise incubator and hot-desking space based in the Careers and Enterprise Zone (Room 2D11, Frenchay Campus). This gives budding entrepreneurs a safe space to confidently develop their ideas and helps to encourage peer to peer development and networking. If you would like to apply for space within The Factory, please submit your enquiry via My Questions.
Frequently asked questions
How do I register a business?
How do I register as self-employed?
How do I protect my idea?
Tax, national insurance, business records and expenses
Help and advice from external organisations
Whatever your journey, invaluable help and advice is available from the organisations below:
- Outset Bristol – a free interactive online learning platform that offers resources and tools to support you on your business start-up journey.
- The Prince's Trust – a useful advice on self-employment and potential funding for young people.
- NESTA – National Endowment for Science, Technology, and the Arts: Provides funding for early-stage companies.
- BRAVE – a not-for-profit organisation based in Bristol which provides support to start-up businesses.
Social enterprise support
- Social Enterprise Works – expert guidance, support and training to help your social enterprise grow, develop and succeed.
- GoodLab – GoodLab is an experimental project that brings together social entrepreneurs and Bristol universities. We are creating an ecosystem of support and exchange between social ventures and research that will enable greater impact, together.
- Bristol and Bath Social Enterprise Network – a local social enterprise network.
- UnLtd – UnLtd is the leading provider of support to social entrepreneurs in the UK and offers the largest such network in the world. UnLtd resources hundreds of individuals each year through its core Awards programme.