Employer Fairs - information for students
Our Meet the Employers Fair autumn fair is the largest one-day higher education careers fair in the UK. The next Fair will take place on Wednesday 16 October 2019 in the Exhibition and Conference Centre on Frenchay Campus from 11:00–15:00. There will be over 180 employers from a range of sectors in attendance.
All UWE Bristol students and recent graduates are welcome to come along on the day. Employers/Exhibitors will be promoting a variety of graduate employment, undergraduate placements, internships, and work experience opportunities. There will also be exhibitors promoting international opportunities including work, study, and volunteering.
Why should I attend the Employers Fair?
- To improve your chances of getting a graduate job – many employers attend the fair with vacancies for jobs, placements and internships.
- To create a great first impression - networking with employers face to face while having the opportunity to practice skills that will be useful for your job interviews.
- To get expert advice from companies – researching a wide variety of organisations that recruit graduates and find out about the different roles you can apply to.
- To make efficient use of your time – with over 180 employers attending, there really is no better way for you to research graduate jobs and other opportunities.
- Enhance your career even if you're not graduating
soon – the careers fair is for all current students
and graduates so make the most of this opportunity to enhance your
Make the most from your visit
Watch this short film for our top five tips on how to engage with employers, speak confidently about yourself and begin mapping out your career.
Download the 'Career Fair Plus' smartphone app
Download our free app to improve your Employers Fair experience. Search for Career Fair Plus in your App Store and search for UWE Bristol as your organisation for a full list of exhibitors and who they want to meet, a comprehensive fair map, talk details and other essential information to ensure you’re ready to meet the employers.
How to prepare for the Employers Fair
The Meet the Employers Fair is an exciting event, but it could be easy to wander around and not find out the information you wanted. The steps below will help you prepare for your visit, so you can find the information you want and identify which employers you most want to talk to.
- Download our free smartphone app. Find out exactly who is attending, who wants to speak to you, and where you can find your choice employers. The app is available from iTunes or the Google Play Store.
- Consider the career options available to you. Many employers recruit students from any degree, so the choice can be overwhelming. To get some ideas, have a look at Prospects’ What can I do with my degree pages and the Prospects planner. This can help you think about the types of employers you want to talk to.
- Think about your selling points. Use the Analysing your skills module on the Careers Toolkit to help you.
- Start building your Elevator Pitch. Use the Elevator Pitch builder on the Careers Toolkit to help you prepare an effective introduction, boosting your confidence in getting the conversation with employers started.
- Update your LinkedIn profile. Have a look at LinkedIn’s tips for students or come along to the LinkedIn Essentials session – book on Infohub.
- Update your CV. Many employers won’t take CVs at the fair, but it’s great to have it ready so you can follow up quickly with your new contacts. You can get help with planning, writing and checking your CV on the Careers Toolkit, or come along to a CV Essentials session before getting your final draft looked over by a member of the careers team at a drop-in.
- Research employers. Use the top tips on the Careers Toolkit to find out more about the employers attending on the day to help you decide who you want to speak to. Or download our full list of exhibitors.
- Prepare your questions. Have some intelligent questions ready to ask the companies, this could be based on your research or about their recruitment processes and what they’re looking for in applications.
- Join our Facebook group to be the first to know up to date details about the fair including employers attending, presentation/talk details and arrangements for the day.
Make the most of your time on the day
Ensure you have plenty of time. With over 170 employers, the fair can be busy. Leave plenty of time to see the employers you are most interested in. Some employers will be very popular and you may need to wait to speak to someone.
- Practice your elevator pitch. Enlist a friend or family member to help you perfect your introduction so you’re ready to get talking to employers.
- Look at the Fair Guide to plan your visit. Prioritise those employers you’re most interested in. Make a note of their stand numbers to save time on the day.
- Don’t visit your key employer first. Take the opportunity to practise your pitch and speak to a few others to ‘warm up’ before you speak to the employer you’re most interested in.
- Be open to the full range of opportunities on offer. There’s lots of variety so don’t be afraid to speak to other employers who grab your interest on the day. They may be offering your perfect placement or graduate job opportunity!
After the Employers Fair
It may feel like you've done all the hard work during the careers fair, but the truth is that the event is just the beginning and it’s what you do after the career fair that really matters.
- Read through the notes that you have made and any information you have picked up
- Follow up with further research into the companies or careers that have interested you.
- Emailing employers to thank them for taking time to speak to you and taking this opportunity to send them your CV.
- Consider developing a plan of action, looking forward to what you could do next to achieve your goals.
Upcoming employer and employability events
We have a range of careers and employability events taking place throughout the year:
There are currently no upcoming events