Your covering letter is the first thing an employer sees when you apply for a job, and it is important to make a good first impression. The employer will read your covering letter and form judgments about you as a person and your suitability for the job. Always send a CV with a covering letter.
Resources and advice on writing successful covering letters
Sending a good covering letter with a targeted CV (speculative application) to relevant employers, is a really effective way of convincing an employer to meet you and potentially create an opportunity for you.
Covering letter resource sheet
Our covering letter resource sheet on InfoHub contains all the information you need to create a standout covering letter including:
- covering letter essentials
- what to include
- examples for different work situations
- standard covering letters
- speculative covering letter
- top tips.
- Step-by-step guide to covering letters – View our careers document (InfoHub resource).
Feedback on your covering letter
- Use our careers services to get individual feedback on your covering letter.
- Help with English language and grammar – PAL (Peer Assisted Learning) Leaders are trained students who can help with study and language skills. They can help with the English on CVs, covering letters and application forms. Find out more about PAL.