Student in laundry looking at her phone

Accommodation costs

We offer student accommodation options to suit varying priorities and budgets, so you’ll find something to suit you.

Accommodation cost summary 2019/2020

Rent prices

See our individual accommodation options pages for the price of each accommodation option. You can also find a summary of costs of all the different properties.

Prices vary, and different rental agreements cover a different number of weeks (from 40 to 45), which affects the price.

All accommodation covers bills, including:

  • gas, electricity and water,
  • contents insurance for personal possessions (except bikes),
  • internet connection.

There’s also the option to include gym membership at our Centre for Sport as part of your accommodation bill (this excludes city centre options).

Deposit/advanced rent payment

We send out accommodation offers from mid-April onwards. To accept your room offer, you’ll need to pay a deposit of £250 to secure your room.

This is an advanced rent payment, so your final rent instalment will be reduced by that amount. It’s important to budget for this, as you need to pay it before student loans or grants can be paid into your bank account.

If, for any reason, you don’t end up coming to UWE Bristol, we’ll refund your deposit – provided you let our accommodation team know by phone or email no later than the end of August before your contract starts.

Other related costs

Damages or charges

If you’re liable for any damage to your accommodation while you’re living there, we’ll invoice you for the relevant amount.

TV licensing

You’ll need a TV licence if you want watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer, while you’re living in student accommodation.

This applies to any device, including a TV, computer, laptop, mobile, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD player.

If you don’t have a valid licence, you could be prosecuted and have to pay up to £1,000, plus legal costs or compensation. You’ll also still have to buy a TV licence if you need one.

Find out more about buying a TV licence and shared accommodation licensing.


Don’t forget about travel costs. You’ll need to budget for these if you decide to live in private accommodation away from your place of study.

Back to top