Two students looking at and discussing architectural drawings

Suspending your studies

If you wish to suspend your studies you will be eligible to return, as long as your course is still running and you return within two calendar years. It is possible that your course may undergo substantial changes or stop running, which may affect your ability to return to it. You should also check any professional body restrictions regarding the time you are allowed to take to gain your qualifications.

You must request a suspension of studies by the following dates:

Programme start date Suspension of studies
September 2019 19 April 2020
January 2020 23 August 2020
February 2020 6 September 2020
March 2020 25 September 2020

It is likely that you will incur some fee liability if you suspend your studies. Our Fees and funding section provides further information and includes details of the University’s Money Advice and Funds Service.

If you have decided to suspend your studies you should:

  1. book an appointment with a Student Support Adviser, then
  2. contact any Information Point to request a form
  3. read the advice on suspending to find out how it will affect you financially.

We will action the suspension of your studies after we have received your form. The date we record will be the day that we received the form.

Students at UK partner colleges

If you are based at one of our UK partner colleges you should follow the same process. You can also seek guidance from staff based at your college.

NHS Student Bursary-funded programmes at Glenside Campus, Gloucester Campus or students on PGCE programmes

Suspensions from these programmes are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. If you wish to suspend your studies on an NHS Student Bursary programme or PGCE programme you will need to contact the Programme Leader for your course.

International students

If you are an international student, you should be aware that making a change to your course will have implications on your immigration status and the completion of your studies.

Please contact the Immigration and Student Visa Support Service if you would like to discuss any issues.

Back to top