Reference requests

We provide academic references and verifications of student achievement. Read about the process below.

Consent and data protection

Explicit consent is required from the student for all reference requests. The following forms are accepted:

  • An email to an Information Point direct from the student
  • A completed declaration of consent including the student’s signature, either by email attachment or posted to an Information Point
  • Completion of the online consent form (current students only)

How long will it take?

  • Verification letters can take between five to ten working days.
  • Academic references can take up to 28 working days.

Debt notice

We will not be able to provide any documentation to the student or to a third party if the student is in debt to the University.

Academic verification

An academic verification is a confirmation letter (or email) from the University confirming the dates of attendance and award achieved for a student.

Current and recently graduated students (within 42 days)

What is available?

There are three forms of verification available:

  1. Status letter printed from myUWE
  2. Higher Education Achievement Report – this contains your dates of attendance, name of award and final classification, but must be downloaded within 42 days of graduating
  3. Notification of Credit Assessment and Marks

What if I need something more detailed?

Where the above information is not sufficient, please refer to the Academic status letters information for other kinds of letters that are available.


Please note that due to the number of verification requests received we do not normally complete forms sent to us as email attachments. The below outlines how to request a verification and what you will receive.

How can I request a verification?

Employers should email an Information Point providing they have written consent from the student.

Information required:

  • Full name of student
  • Date of birth
  • Name of award
  • Dates of attendance/completion
  • Written consent from the student (students are able to email an Information Point direct providing their consent)

What will I receive?

You will receive an email containing the following (sample text):

Dear ------------,

I can confirm the following study information for [student name]:

Attendance dates:


Grade Achieved:

Conferment Date:

1 September 2003 – 23 September 2004

PG Diploma Legal Practice

Postgraduate Diploma Legal Practice

23 September 2004

What if you are unable to provide a verification?

We will not be able to provide a verification if:

  • we do not have written consent from the student
  • the student is in debt to the University

Students who have graduated

How can I request a verification letter?

For students who no longer have access to the online letters and documents (graduated more than 42 days before the date of the request), see other types of certificates for more information on verification letters.

I need confirmation of my modules and marks

If you need a replacement award certificate, certificate of credit or duplicate copies, please see the Certificates information.

Academic references

An academic reference is provided by the student's personal tutor and contains more detailed information about their academic performance.

Information for students

Who should I nominate as an academic referee?

You are: Your first referee:

A current student

Your tutor (or Academic Personal Tutor if applicable) should provide the reference. You should contact them direct by email (all current staff can be found via the UWE Bristol Telephone Directory).

If you do not know who your personal tutor is, you should contact the programme leader, or speak to a student adviser.

A past student (graduated within five years)

In the first instance, students should contact their personal tutor as above. If you are unable to locate the academic from whom you wish to request a reference, please complete our online enquiry form.

A past student (graduated more than five years ago)

UWE Bristol cannot provide academic references for students who graduated more than five years ago. However, we are able to provide you with a verification letter. Find out more about other types of certificates.

How do I request an academic reference?

You should email the relevant academic directly to request the reference. For past students, it is good practice to include some details of your time at the University to remind them of who you are.

What if I don't get a response?

If you do not receive a response within two weeks of your initial request, you should first contact the tutor again. If no response is received, you can use the UWE Bristol courses database to find the current programme leader and ask for assistance.

If you still do not receive a response, please contact an Information Point who will be able to provide you with a verification letter in lieu of a reference.

What will happen next?

Your tutor will provide a reference to the employer/company concerned. They will let you know that this has been done.

Can I ask for a copy of my reference?

The tutor may be happy for you to have a copy of your reference, however, this is down to their discretion.

Information for employers

Academic references

Employers should ensure that the student contacts their tutor directly using the 'Information for students' guidance, otherwise it is standard practice to provide a verification letter or email to employers as detailed under 'Academic verification'.

Nursing references

References for nursing students are provided by the student’s personal tutor. 

Where the tutor is not known, these should be requested via

Education references

References for Education students are provided by the student’s personal tutor.

Where the tutor is not known, these should be requested via

Transcript of training

Apply for a full or partial transcript of your training profile for healthcare (formerly known as NHS) awards.

Back to top