Health and Social Care research

Guidance for applications for approval by the Health Research Authority (HRA) for projects conducted in the NHS, HMPPS (Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service; formerly NOMS), and Social Care research.

Where research involves patients, service users, organs, tissue, data or other bodily material or is to be conducted on NHS property you may need Health Research Authority (HRA) approval. Please note this will be in addition to, and in advance of, the University’s research ethics approval.

Details on how to apply for NHS approval using the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) are available on the HRA website. For University guidance on submitting an IRAS form, you must contact the Research Ethics team. If you are unsure as to whether you require NHS approval, please refer to the approval guidance available on the HRA website.

In addition to the HRA approval, staff and students must also complete the ethics application form and attach the HRA approval letter, IRAS application and all associated documents to their respective Faculty Research Ethics Committee (FREC) for consideration of ethical approval.

Research sponsorship

The University's guidance on research sponsorship provides clarification on the role and responsibilities of the research sponsor.

Research Passport

The Research Passport provides a mechanism for pre-engagement information about a researcher to be shared with relevant NHS organisations in which the applicant will be conducting research. It includes an occupational health assessment, employment/student screening and DBS.

For members of staff, Human Resources will deal with applications for all Research Passports. Contact the HR helpline.

For students, please refer to the Research Passport application process for students.

Frequently asked questions

Back to top