Funder requirements

Funder requirements for open-access publishing and application for payment of APCs

Many funders have policies and advice relating to open access:

UKRI (formerly Research Council UK)

UKRI have an RCUK policy on open-access, and have provided the University with funds to help meet article-processing charges (APCs). 

To apply to access this fund, please complete the APC payment application form and submit it to Library Research Support, .

Research England (formerly HEFCE)

Research England have issued specific requirements for REF 2021.

The Wellcome Trust

The Wellcome Trust's open-access requirements extend to all research articles, scholarly monographs, and book chapters funded by their research grants. The Wellcome Trust's open-access webpages detail how grant holders can meet their requirements.


The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) require funded researchers to seek to publish their research outputs in peer-reviewed journals that are compliant with their policy on open access. The NIHR open access webpages detail how grant holders can meet their requirements and apply for funding for open-access publication.

European funders

For open FP7 projects Gold Open Access charges can be charged to project grants. Alternatively Researchers publishing in traditional subscription journals can comply through Green open access, by making their papers available through the UWE Bristol Research repository.

Check your funder requirements

Sherpa Fact can be used to check your journal of choice against the open-access policy of many funders. 

Back to top