Methodology and timeline
The project will consist of six interlinked work packages, which will
- Assess and build on the outcomes of previous JISC MRD projects such as Research Data Management guidance from the University of Edinburgh, MaDAM and Incremental to develop models for identifying data management requirements, and assist sample researchers to identify data management activities based on their requirements.
- Develop protocols and processes based on guidance available in DCC documentation and appropriate to the internal procedures of the university.
- Apply the processes to the sample data and projects to test their viability, evaluate their success, and revise as necessary.
- Develop institution specific guidance and training materials for researchers to refer to and utilise.
- Manage the project and plan for its embedding and sustainability
- Disseminate knowledge gained from the project.
Prior to the appointment of the project manager and officer, members of the project team will meet to select appropriate research projects on which to base the work.
Below is a simplified timeline for the project. More detail can be found in the project plan.
October 2011 - March 2012
Production of a pilot plan for data management for selected research projects in two research centres
Oct 2011 - March 2012
Development of pilot administrative processes for research data management
Production of a draft institutional policy on RDM
June 2012 - March 2013
Production of simple online guidance and training for researchers in HLS
Throughout the project
Initiation of, and involvement with, appropriate internal and external dissemination events.