Guide to using RefWorks
RefWorks is an online service that allows you to:
- Create your own searchable database of references
- Upload references from text files and websites (including the library search, databases, and the UWE Research Repository)
- Incorporate references stored in RefWorks into a Word document
- Format the references in a wide range of styles (including Harvard)
- Ask your tutor which referencing style your faculty uses. Refer to the library's study skills: referencing pages for information on how to cite and reference correctly.
- Log in to RefWorks. New users will be prompted to enter their e-mail address and user information (focus area etc.).
- Once you're logged in, select the appropriate referencing style from the 'Style' drop-down list. To use 'UWE Harvard' you'll need to add it via the 'Select Other Style' option in the list.
- You can then follow this step-by-step guide to RefWorks
Using RefWorks for Microsoft Word
Student computers at UWE should have a 'RefWorks' tab in Microsoft Word which will give you easy access to your saved references.
Click the 'Log In' button and then select 'University of the West of England' from the 'Log in from my institution' drop-down list. This will take you to the usual UWE login page.
Once logged in, select the appropriate referencing style from the 'Style' drop-down list. To use 'UWE Harvard' you'll need to add it via the 'Select Other Style' option in the list.
Install RefWorks for Word on your own computer
UWE staff computers
Staff can install on their work machines from the Microsoft 'Software Center', found in:
'Start > All Programs > Microsoft
(Look for 'Write-N-Cite...')
To use on your own computer, you will need to download and install 'Write-N-Cite' from the RefWorks website:
- Log in
- Select 'Tools > Write-N-Cite' from the menu
- Download and install 'Write-N-Cite 4 for 32-bit Word'
(or follow the 'Other Versions' link for the Mac version)