Please read our COVID-19 service update for library users.
When do I need to return my books?
You will receive a provisional due date when you borrow the books. If another user recalls an item that you have borrowed, then you will have 7 days to return it.
If you have any doubts about your ability to return a recalled item if you are going to be away from the university for a period of time, please return it before you go.
How will I know if an item has been recalled?
We will send an initial recall notice to your UWE Bristol email address, and a follow-up recall reminder email before the new due date.
You will also receive a recall notice text message and a follow-up reminder text message before the new due date, unless you chose to opt out of the UWE Bristol SMS service on Registration.
(To update your mobile number and SMS preferences at any time, log into MyUWE and edit your details on Personal Details tab).
How do I return my books?
You can use the self-service machines when the library is open. Any library material can be returned to any UWE Bristol campus.
Book return options:
- Frenchay: the return machines are available 24/7 inside the Library.
- Glenside: during opening hours, you can use a book return box inside the Library. There is also a book return box available 24/7 outside the external Library entrance door.
- Bower Ashton: you can return books during opening hours.
- Alexandra Warehouse (Gloucester): you can return books during opening hours.
- All UWE Bristol Library users can also return books at Spike Island (City Campus) during their advertised opening hours. The book bin is located in the corridor outside the UWE Studios.
- Staff and students can return books at Arnolfini (City Campus). The book bin is located next to the Infopoint on Level 4 of the Arnolfini. You will need your staff or student ID card for swipe access to this area.
Can I return my books to any campus?
Yes, apart from non-standard items (see below) which will need to be returned to the campus you borrowed them from.
How do I return non-standard items?
Items such as inter-library loans, large items (eg big books from the Education Resources Collection), laptops and anatomical models will need to be returned to the campus you borrowed them from during staffed opening hours.
What if I can't come in to return my books?
You can return items in the post, and we recommend that you obtain proof of postage. Please see the contact details for campus libraries pages.