Guide to the inter-library loan service
<< back to obtain material not held by UWE Bristol
Please read our COVID-19 service update for library users.
What do I need to do?
- Make sure the item is not already held by UWE Bristol library.
- It is also advisable to see if the item is available as an open access publication by doing an internet search.
- Provide as much information as possible about the item.
- If you need two or more articles from the same journal issue please apply to borrow the whole issue. We cannot obtain more than one article per issue for copyright reasons.
- Inter-library loans are available for educational and research purposes only, we cannot supply items for commercial purposes. Please Ask a Librarian if you are unsure.
What can I request?
If we don't hold the item or information you need, we will do our best to obtain it for you from the British Library, or other source, via an inter-library loan.
We can obtain books, theses*, reports, and copies of journal articles.
* Most theses are now available directly from British Library’s Ethos.
How much does it cost?
Who can make a request?
All UWE Bristol students and staff.
UWE Bristol students studying at partner institutions and staff supporting them are not entitled to inter-library loans.
How many requests can I make per year?
How are requests delivered?
Requests for journal articles are generally delivered in electronic format. They will be sent to the email address on your library record as an attachment which you can then read on screen or print out. Please read this advice from the British Library on opening electronic delivery documents.
The following conditions apply for copyright reasons:
- Documents must be downloaded within 30 days of the link being sent. When you open the link you will be promoted to save the document on your device.
- Once downloaded you will be able to access the file electronically for up to three years but you will only be able to print once.
For book requests, you will be informed when available for collection. Books will need to be collected during library staffed hours , please collect books promptly as they may have a limited loan period. You will need your UWE Bristol ID card so that books can be issued to you. Some items are for reference and must be used in the library, at the request of the lending library.
How long does it take to obtain a request?
You are responsible for all items issued to you and liable to pay for any lost material. The British Library charges a minimum of £175.00 (including VAT) for lost books.
The British Library also charges up to £175.00 (including VAT) for books which are not returned on time. You are liable for these charges, which cannot be waived even if the book is subsequently returned. UWE Bristol library fines are also payable on all overdue books obtained from other libraries.