Username and Password
Your UWE Bristol username and password allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources.
You can use the Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) to reset
your password, once you have set up an authentication method
on your Microsoft security profile.
Please note: without setting up an authentication method to enable SSPR, you will need to contact the IT Service Desk to reset your password.
Your UWE Bristol username and password will be emailed to your personal email address. If you have not received these emails contact an Information Point.
What does your username and password give you access to?
All students and staff are issued with a username and password that allows access to IT facilities across the University and online resources. These facilities include:
- Student computers
- myUWE student portal
- UWE Bristol email
- Pharos print system
- 1GB personal H drive storage
- 1TB OneDrive for Business account (via UWE Bristol email)
- Eduroam Wi-Fi
- Software for Home use (including Microsoft Office)
In addition, staff gain access to:
- Staff computing
- Faculty or Service networked drives
- Staff printing facilities
- Software Center (for self-service install of pre-approved software)
- and a range of as needed staff specific applications.
You may be issued with additional usernames and passwords by your faculty to access faculty developed resources. These credentials will be managed by the faculty and you will need to contact your local IT Service Desk for assistance in these cases.
How to enable Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR)?
Your password will have been sent to your personal email address. If you have not received these emails contact an Information Point and they will be able to provide them, in person, via email, or over the telephone.
Changing your password will take immediate effect in Windows, myUWE portal, Blackboard and most other UWE systems (except for faculty specific passwords).
To use this service, you will need to register your mobile number via http://securityprofile.uwe.ac.uk/.
Registering your mobile number will also allow you to enable
Multi-factor Authentication (MFA).
More information can be found via Multi-factor Authentication.
It's a good idea to add at least one alternative verification method in case you are unable to use your preferred option when required.
How to change your password?
From any UWE Bristol PC
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- In the dialog window, select Change Password
- Type in your current password
- Select a new password
From an external device (eg personal PC, phone etc)
- Go to http://securityprofile.uwe.ac.uk/
- Select password from the navigation
- Type your old password and then create and confirm your new password
- Select Submit
If you have forgotten your password
- Go to https://password.uwe.ac.uk/
- Enter your user ID (UWE Bristol email address)
- Enter the security characters as shown on screen
- Select a contact method for verification
- Enter the verification code
- You can now select a new password
More information can be found via Passwords.
Don't forget that when you change your password on your PC or laptop, you must also change it on any of your mobile devices.
How can I protect my password?
A strong and unique password reduces the risk of data breaches and protects you from many threats such as identity theft. One of the most common ways that hackers break into computers is by guessing passwords.
Further advice on creating strong and unique passwords and keeping them protected can be found via Passwords.
Additional accounts for FET students (Linux, MySQL and Oracle)
Linux (CSCT and EDM departments only)
Your UWE Bristol username and password also gives you access to
the FET Linux system.
For further information on using Linux within FET, see the Linux FAQs.
MySQL and Oracle (CSCT and EDM departments only)
Please note: students will need to register for a MySQL or Oracle account, as these systems use Faculty specific logins.
More information can be found via Computer Science Support.
How to create a MySQL or Oracle account
- Access the
Database Account Manager and select the database you want
to manage (create, change password, delete):
- To create an account, click the create an
- Enter your UWE Bristol username and password, then click
- If the following screen is displayed, then choose 'Delete my
existing account and create the new one':
- Re-enter your UWE Bristol username and password to confirm,
then click submit:
- A new MySQL or Oracle user ID and password will then be issued with the correct link to login.