Printing at UWE
UWE offers a chargeable student printing system called Pharos. This is created automatically as part of your student computer account.
To add money to your print account, please go to UWE Card Account.
Pharos Printers are located in all libraries, learning zones and some open access areas and computer labs.
Printing and photocopying costs
In response to a campaign led by students and driven by The Students’ Union, UWE Bristol has decided to make black and white printing free, for a trial period.
|Single-sided printing / photocopying||Printing cost|
|Black and white A4||FREE|
|Black and white A3||FREE|
|Colour A3 or A4||15p per sheet|
|Double-sided (duplex) printing / photocopying||Printing cost|
|Black and white A4 duplex||FREE|
|Colour A3 or A4 duplex||30p per sheet|
For example, A four page colour A4 or A3 document, printed single-sided, would print on four sheets of A4 or A3 and cost 60p.
Sending any print jobs that require colour content must be sent to the Colour Print Queue (COLOURprinting).
This queue will charge 15p per page by default, irrespective of the page content, i.e. mono text or colour text/ pictures.
Please consider this before committing to print, as we will not be able to refund for mono printing sent to the colour printer.
How to print? (double-sided, multiple, large scale)
For guidance on how to print and use your Pharos account please see the short video guide No. 9 Pharos Student Printing.
Alternatively, step-by-step guides on printing, Wi-Fi and installing Office 365 are available here.
Sending your job to a print queue?
This is an example of how to print from Word 2016.
- Within Word click File and then
- Choose the appropriate print queue:
- 'BWprinting' for black and white.
- 'COLOURprinting' for colour.
- Faculties such as FET may also see 'LargeFormatFET' queue.
- Check the other options such as paper size, orientation, margins etc.
When you are sure everything is correct click 'Print'.
Your print job will now be sent to the print queue. It will not be printed until you log in to a printer and release it.
For instructions on how to print from our own device click here.
How long will it stay in the print queue?
Release your job from a printer
Printers are located in all libraries and most open access areas.
- Log on to the printer and you will see a list of your print jobs.
- Click on the job you want to release and check the displayed cost is correct.
- Click 'Print'. Your job will now be printed and the cost of the job will be deducted from your Pharos account.
Note: if you sent a colour print job and you log on to a black and white printer you will not see your job available to print.
What is my Pharos username and password?
What to do if something goes wrong?
- If your print job prints incorrectly, please visit an IT Service Desk with your failed print job (if possible) as soon as possible - do not try to print again as your account may be charged again.
- If the printer is found to be at fault we will re-print your
document at no extra charge.
Important note: we can only re-print jobs; we cannot re-credit Pharos accounts.
Can I get refunds from my Pharos account?
Printing from your own device
It is possible to print from your own device by visiting http://pharos.uwe.ac.uk/printme.
Log in with your normal UWE ITS username and password and upload your document. When it says ‘Awaiting Release’ you can select a print queue, either ‘bwprinting’ for black and white or ‘colourprinting’ for colour printing. Once a queue is selected you can log on to a printer and select the job to be printed by pressing ‘Print’.
All print jobs will be removed from the Pharos server if they have not printed after 6 hours.