Printing at UWE
In response to a campaign led by students and driven by The Students’ Union, UWE Bristol has decided to make black and white printing free for a trial period. This pilot will run from September 2018 to February 2019. As long time champions of sustainability, we will be monitoring print usage closely to measure the environmental impact of this decision. At the end of the pilot, the SU and the University will decide whether free black and white printing will continue, so please think before you print!
This pilot will not affect the £15 Pharos credit – you will still receive this when you register for the 2018/19 academic year.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to print?
You can also view this information using our helpful Get Started with IT at UWE printing guide at:
Alternatively, step-by-step guides on printing, Wi-Fi and installing Office 365 can be downloaded and printed from here.
Credit your Pharos AccountYou can credit you Pharos account through Pharos Online Payments.
Send your job to a print queueThis is an example of how to print from Word 2016.
- Within Word click File and then
- Choose the appropriate print queue:
- 'BWprinting' for black and white.
- 'COLOURprinting' for colour.
- Faculties such as FET may also see plotter queues.
- Check the other options such as paper size, orientation, margins etc.
When you are sure everything is correct click Print.
Your print job will now be sent to the print queue. It will not be printed until you login to a print station and release it.
For instructions on how to print from our own device click here.
Printing more than one page?
Send one page as a test print. If this page prints out incorrectly, check all of your settings and once you are happy send another test print. If you believe your print is failing due to a fault with the printer, visit the nearest IT Service Desk for assistance.
Release your job from a print station
- Visit a print station that has the type of printer you need.
- Log on to the print release station and you will see a list of your print jobs.
- Click on the job you want to release and check the displayed cost is correct.
- Click Print. Your job will now be printed and the cost of the job will be deducted from your Pharos account.
Note: if you sent a colour print job and you log on to a black and white printer you will not see your job available to print.
What is my Pharos username and password?
How do I print double-sided?
How long does my print job stay on the queue?
What are the costs for Printing?
Single sided printing:
- Black and white A4 FREE
- Black and white A3 FREE
- Colour A3 or A4 15p per sheet
Double sided (duplex) printing:
- Black and white A4 duplex FREE
- Colour A3 or A4 duplex 30p per sheet
For example a four page colour A4 or A3 document printed single sided would print on four sheets of A4 or A3 and cost £1.20.
Sending any print jobs that require colour content must be sent to the Colour Print Queue (COLOURprinting).
This queue will charge 15p per page by default, irrespective of the page content, i.e. mono text or colour text/ pictures.
Please consider this before committing to print, as we will not be able to refund for mono printing sent to the colour printer.
What to do if something goes wrong?
- If your print job prints incorrectly, please visit an IT Service Desk, with your failed print job (if possible) as soon as possible - do not try to print again as your account may be charged again.
- If the printer is found to be at fault we will re-print your
document at no extra charge.
Important note: we can only re-print jobs; we cannot re-credit Pharos accounts.