The University central storage areas (SharePoint, H and S drives, OneDrive for Business) provide the best place to keep your information secure and safe because:
- They are backed up regularly. If you accidentally delete a file, it could be recovered from a backup. Note this will depend on when the file was deleted.
- They allow you to remotely access your files.
- They allow files to be accessed only by the individuals that need them.
- Use only UWE devices to handle confidential or restricted information.
- Use OneDrive for Business (Intranet access only) to share files with authorised non-UWE staff.
- Use the University's storage facilities such as SharePoint, Office 365 (e.g. OneDrive for Business) or H and S drives to store data.
- If you need to transport restricted or confidential information to an authorised 3rd party using an external storage device you must protect (encrypt) the data on that drive.
- Store files on local drives (a drive installed inside of or connected to your computer). They may not be backed up or secure.
- Use other cloud storage services (e.g. DropBox). The UWE Bristol cloud storage service is OneDrive for Business, it is secure and supported by IT Services.
Who should I contact if I'm not sure?
- For help with handling information e.g. identifying personal data, how it should be handled or when it can be deleted, contact your local data protection liaison officer (Intranet access only).
- For all other queries about the GDPR or data protection, contact the Data Protection and Records Management Officer.
- For help protecting your information, review the Information Security Toolkit including the information security policies. For further support, contact the IT Service Desk.
SharePoint allows you to manage content, knowledge and quickly find information.
- Use the group functionality to manage your user permissions.
- Be aware of the new 'Share' feature in SharePoint Online in Office 365 as it is very easy to share a whole site externally.
- Ensure sites have a single administrator.
- Review membership at least monthly
- Use specific permissions at a document or a list item level as it is very difficult to see an overview of all the individual permissions for the site.