Protect other files
Protect (encrypt) other files using 7-Zip
7-Zip is the preferred file archive software at UWE Bristol. You can use 7-Zip to protect (encrypt) files that are not Microsoft (eg Word, Excel PowerPoint, these have inbuilt tools).
1. To create the file, right click on the files or folders that you would like to encrypt, and select 7-Zip > Add to archive…
2. Enter the name you wish to give the file, and select zip as an archive format.
3. Make sure that the Encryption method is set to AES-256. This method is more secure than ZipCrypto (the default).
4. Enter a password of your choice in the Encryption section below. The password will be needed to open files. To ensure your data is properly protected, choose a strong password.
5. To open an encrypted archive file, right click and select 7-Zip > Extract Here or Open Archive.
6. Enter the password to open your files.
Note: when encrypting a zip file, only the contents of the files within the archive are protected. File names and directory listings are visible to users without the password.
7. To protect file names and directory listings, select 7z when encrypting and tick Encrypt file names.
8. Remember to share the password using a different method to the way you share the file.