Protect Microsoft Office
Protect (encrypt) restricted or confidential Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files
Add or remove a password to control access to a document
- Create or open a document that needs password protecting.
- Left click File > Info > Protect Document > Encrypt with Password.
- Enter a strong and memorable password. For guidance on strong passwords see Passwords
- When sharing the file (eg via email) remember to share the password using a different method (eg text or phone or planned protocol)
- Encryption protects files.
- Encryption enables confidential information to be securely shared outside the UWE Bristol network.
- The password cannot be recovered if lost or forgotten.
- It is not secure to share the password in the same way as the file is shared.
Important: use the latest version of Microsoft Office provided by the University because this provides the best protection.