History of Appearance Matters
Since 2003, the Centre for Appearance Research has been running the Appearance Matters conference series. It provides a forum which specifically highlights current psychosocial research, theory and good practice around appearance-related issues including visible difference, interventions, research methods and provision of care.
The Appearance Matters conference series has a strong focus on the application of research to practice, reflected in the number of practitioners and the range of disciplines represented by the delegates. The meetings provide an opportunity for academics, clinicians, practitioners, researchers, hospital managers and policy makers involved in the provision of care for people with appearance-related concerns to up-date their knowledge, engage in debate, share ideas and network with others working in this field.
Whilst surgical and condition-specific conferences may include some psychosocial research, such sessions are typically peripheral to the main conference proceedings, and the opportunities to focus on psychosocial research and practice influencing upon care are limited.
The Appearance Matters conference is a two-day meeting of oral presentations in themed symposia and open sessions to accommodate individual papers, workshops and poster presentations. Poster presentations are on show throughout the conference.
The series so far boasts keynote addresses by internationally renowned experts including:
- Professor David Sarwer, University of Pennsylvania
- Professor Tracy Tylka, Ohio State University
- Professor Sarah Grogan, Staffordshire University
- Professor John Lawrence, College of Staten Island, City University of New York
- Professor Thomas Cash, Old Dominion University
- Professor Jane Ogden, University of Surrey
- Professor Marika Tiggemann, Flinders University
- Professor Nichola Rumsey, University of the West of England, Bristol
- Professor Alex Clarke, Royal Free Hospital & University of the West of England, Bristol
- Professor Lina Ricciardelli, Deakin University
- Professor Diana Harcourt, University of the West of England, Bristol
- Professor S. Bryn Austin, Harvard University
- Dr Eric Stice, Oregon Research Institute
- Professor Dianne Neumark-Sztainer, University of Minnesota
- Dr James Partridge OBE, Changing Faces
- Dr Rebecca Puhl, Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity
View details of previous conferences in the Appearance Matters series, including videos of previous keynote addresses: