About the Centre for Appearance Research
We're a centre of excellence for psychological and interdisciplinary, patient-centred research in appearance, disfigurement, body image and related studies.
Our research and consultancy services inform and support:
- healthcare and education provision
- social policy
- corporate social responsibility agendas, and
- other areas of society.
Why we study appearance
We also lead a European Union research network with members from 36 countries.
Our key aims are to:
- conduct innovative research that creates and promotes knowledge and understanding about the psychosocial and cultural aspects of appearance
- enhance CAR's position as the leading international centre of excellence for appearance research and source of authoritative advice for researchers, policy makers, practitioners, the media, public and third sector
- relate knowledge and understanding to policy, practice and the needs of people affected by appearance concerns.
- increase acceptance of diversity in appearance.
Supporting best practice
We support and promote best practice in the recruitment, retention and promotion of staff via the Athena SWAN initiative.
Athena SWAN addresses gender inequalities in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine in higher education.
The University and the Department of Applied Sciences, achieved Athena SWAN Bronze Awards.