Assessment of the UK Local Authority’s Air Quality Review and Assessment Procedure for the UK Government
Funding bodies: Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra); Welsh Government; Scottish Government; Greater London Authority; Department of Environment, Northern Ireland.
Collaborator: Air Quality Consultants Ltd.
Dates: 1999 - 2011.
AQMRC supported Defra and the Devolved Administrations in the delivery of the Review and Assessment process for over a decade. The support provided to the UK Government and UK local authorities included:
- Contribution to the development of the UK Technical Guidance and Policy Guidance since the inception of Local Air Quality Management (LAQM);
- The evaluation of numerous technical and process aspects of the LAQM process in the UK, the outcomes of which fed directly into the 2003 and 2008/9 updates of official guidance and the In-House Policy Unit’s Review of LAQM;
- Provision of technical and policy support to local authorities through the provision of a helpdesk service;
- Official appraisal of all UK Local Authority Review and Assessment Reports submitted from 1999-2010 on behalf of the UK Government for sound science and adherence to guidance which included extensive detailed air quality monitoring and dispersion modelling assessment;
- Development of clear and concise protocols for official feedback and conflict resolution;
- Provision of data for national reporting purposes. through the development and population of bespoke database e.g. Air Quality Management Area statistics;
- Support in answering UK Parliamentary Questions.
For more details, please email Professor James Longhurst.