Female student eating an ice cream

Support for partners and families

Important information about bringing your partner or children with you to the UK.


UWE Bristol accommodation for international students consists of single study bedrooms. Couples and families who wish to live together can apply for private accommodation.


Only some types of Tier 4 (General) student can bring family to the UK as dependants, and only some types of family member count as dependants. Read more about bringing your family to the UK.

Working in the UK

If you have permission to be in the UK as a student for 12 months or more, your dependants will normally receive permission to work. Your family member should check the immigration permission conditions on their entry permit or visa before starting work in the UK. Read the information about dependants on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

Schools and childcare

The Halley Nursery on Frenchay Campus provides childcare for children aged 3 months to 5 years. It offers priority to UWE Bristol students and staff.

If your children are aged 5 to 16 years old, they are eligible to attend a state school free of charge. Children who are older than 16 years can continue their education at an independent school or further education college.

Find out about your nearest schools on the following sites:

You must have a UK residential address before you can apply for a school place for your children. It is not normally possible to make school applications before you arrive in the UK.


Find out about healthcare for international students in the UK.

Back to top