Film and Television Studies Research Group
We are a vibrant and supportive group; our members produce nationally and internationally respected research and publications.
Our group of staff and postgraduate students conduct research across a range of areas, including:
- film genre (biopics, crime, musicals, romantic comedy, science fiction)
- film and music; gender, sexuality, ethnicity, class, nation and generation
- the role of the producer
- British cinema
- radical British filmmaking; and
- second screens.
Members of the group edit or serve on the editorial boards of the following journals:
- Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media
- Body and Society
- Deletion: The Open Access Online Forum in Science Fiction Studies
- The Eaton Journal of Archival Research in Science Fiction
- Historical Materialism: Research in Critical Marxist Theory
- Intensities: The Journal of Cult Media
- Journal of British Cinema and Television
- Journal of Media Practice
- Movie: A Journal of Film Criticism
- Paradoxa: Studies in World Literary Genres
- Science Fiction Film and Television
- Science Fiction Studies
- The Soundtrack
We provide a forum in which to share work-in-progress and to develop collaborative projects. In addition, support research and public events.
Conferences and symposia
Our conferences and symposia have focused on:
- Imamura Shohei
- Charlie Kaufman
- the legacy of Margaret Thatcher
- radical British screen media
- animation research and practice
- filmic representations of ageing
- media representations of Chávez’s Venezuela.
We have also hosted numerous guest speakers, including Catherine Constable, Kay Dickinson, Laura Marks, Diane Negra, Steve Shaviro, Rod Stoneman, Sarah Street and Mike Wayne.
Furthermore, filmmakers such as Mozambican Gabriel Mondlane, Algerian Yamina Bachir Chouikh and Iranian exile Mania Akbari.
Bristol Radical Film Festival
We founded the Bristol Radical Film Festival, who introduce events for organisations such as:
- Mark Bould
- Charlotte Crofts
- Bernhard Gross
- Kathrina Glitre
- Humberto Perez-Blanco
- Stephen Presence
- Matthew Robinson
- Andrew Spicer
- Estella Tincknell
- Sherryl Wilson
If you would like to find out more or establish connections, please email Mark Bould at firstname.lastname@example.org.