Secondary Initial Teacher Education (ITE)
As a trainee teacher, you will be joining a modern and well-regarded programme to train to teach across the 11-16 age range and gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
Why train to teach with us?
- Active, practical and placement-based learning with a high level of support from tutors and partners in our diverse network of 250 educational settings.
- Research-based learning that encourages critical and reflective thinking and continuous growth as a teaching professional. Read about Veronika's student story.
- Engaged, passionate and creative tutors who are grounded in current teaching practice and the latest research.
- Learn innovative methods such as outdoor classrooms and cross-curriculum working between subjects to create a unique and mind-opening experience for students.
- The chance to study and reflect with other trainees and be part of an invaluable network of peer support.
- State-of-the-art facilities including IT skills development and technical support for your subject area and classroom practice.
- Subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) courses to help you build on your current subject knowledge.
Secondary PGCE courses
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Art and Design
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Biology with Science
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Business
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Chemistry with Science
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Computer Science
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education English
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Geography
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education History
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Mathematics
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Modern Languages
- Secondary Initial Teacher Education Physics with Science
- Secondary School Direct PGCE
We are proudly rated as 'good' across primary and secondary education training. Read about our key strengths according to our Ofsted report below:
- “UWE Bristol trainees and NQTs make positive contributions to the life of the school.”
- “Teacher training at UWE Bristol provides a wealth of resources and practical advice, which trainees use imaginatively to engage the interest of their pupils.”
- “UWE Bristol students’ commitment, enthusiasm, and high levels of professionalism, motivates them to become good-quality teachers.”
- “UWE Bristol is well regarded by head teachers.”
- “UWE Bristol-based training makes strong connections between subjects, through a variety of ways including the curriculum days.”
- “All leaders and managers across the partnership are fully committed to improving the education and life chances of pupils in our schools.”