UWE Bristol Undergraduate Internship
The summer 2019 scheme will launch on Wednesday 20 March 2019. The scheme provides funding and support to employers who wish to recruit a student for a ten-week summer project. It is a cost-effective and low-risk opportunity offering recruiters £1,500 funding.
How the scheme works and funding arrangements
Overview and intern eligibility
All business sectors are eligible for the scheme. To take part, advertise your internship opportunity to all relevant and eligible students on CareerHub (login required), then recruit using your current company recruitment methods. You will need to confirm the internship with us by following the process outlined on this page (from stage one).
Internships must be either project-based or add value to the student's CV and incorporate an element of training or mentoring. Internships can take place anywhere in the UK.
- The scheme is open to first, second and placement year current UWE Bristol students on BA, BSc, BArch, BEng, LLB, MArch and MEng courses returning to UWE Bristol in September 2019.
- This scheme is only open to UK domiciled students.
- Masters, Postgraduate and PhD students are not eligible.
- Students completing UWE Bristol-accredited Foundation degrees in partner Further Education colleges will be eligible as long as there is evidence that they are continuing their studies with UWE Bristol in September 2019.
- You can nominate an eligible undergraduate who has contacted you speculatively.
- You cannot recruit an undergraduate who has previously worked for you in any paid capacity.
Scheme criteria and funding arrangements
Please read through the terms and conditions:
Payment and working hours
- The subsidy to businesses is £1,500 (VAT exempt) per intern. Funding is limited and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You need to be able to pay your intern £307 (minimum) a week and they must be paid PAYE.
- When you claim the UWE Bristol subsidy of £1,500 at the end of the internship , the amount you will pay in total is £1,570.
- Internships must be for a minimum of ten weeks if full time (20 weeks part time). You can choose to employ the intern for longer if you wish, but this will be at your own expense.
- The subsidy will only be paid when the internship has been completed and we have received the required documentation. Required documentation includes the internship agreement, relevant financial documentation and the completed internship evaluation form. It must be sent to us by Friday 13 September 2019 at the latest.
- Your intern’s working week must remain at 37 hours as denoted in the internship agreement. If they are working more than 37 hours per week, their salary must be adjusted accordingly.
- All internships must be confirmed with UWE Bristol and the paperwork returned by Friday 5 July 2019. Internships must start by Monday 8 July 2019.
- All internships must be completed before students return to university on Monday 16 September 2019.
- The intern must be employed by the business, not self-employed.
- If you are a private sector organisation, the intern cannot have previously worked for you in any paid or unpaid capacity.
- If you are a third-sector organisation, interns that have previously volunteered with you are able to participate in the scheme.
- If you are related to your intern, you must disclose it on the registration form (CareerHub registration required).
- There will be no limit to the number of vacancies you can advertise. However, private sector organisations (and their associated companies) may only recruit a maximum of two interns. If you are a private sector organisation and wish to recruit more than two interns, please contact the UWE Bristol Internships Team directly.
- We recommend that you have the necessary resources in place to provide any training or mentoring deemed necessary to help the intern succeed in the workplace.
- The internship may be subject to a site visit from UWE Bristol staff.
- We will pay the subsidy after the internship has been completed.
- The payment terms are a minimum of 30 days from the date of invoice.
- We will not process invoices until we have received all the documentation.
- Failure to notify us of your internship starting, late return of your internship agreement and/or relevant financial documentation or non-completion of your evaluation form will all delay the payment of your salary subsidy – and may result in the subsidy not being allocated or paid for your intern.
- If, for any reason, the internship ends prematurely, we will require the subsidy to be reimbursed (as a proportion relating to the time actually worked). You must inform the UWE Bristol Internships team immediately of any such developments. We expect you and your intern to try to come to a resolution, however, we are here to assist you with any grievances should they arise.
What steps do I need to take?
Step 1: Advertise your UWE Bristol Undergraduate Internship
- select the 'add vacancy' option on the left hand menu
- ensure that you include 'UWE Undergraduate Internship 2019' in the job title
- choose the 'UWE Internship Schemes' criteria before submitting the internship.
If you have already selected your intern, please add ‘Nominated Intern’ and the student’s name in the job title when uploading your opportunity.
Your vacancy will be advertised to eligible UWE Bristol undergraduates who will apply to you directly. You can then interview and select your intern according to your company’s standard recruitment procedures.
- Advertising your vacancy on CareerHub does not guarantee that the vacancy will be filled.
- Registration on UWE Bristol CareerHub and advertising a position does not guarantee funding.
Step 2: Recruit your intern and confirm their eligibility with the University
Before you interview your intern, we recommend that you email the UWE Bristol Internships Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with the students’ names and student numbers to check their eligibility for the scheme and confirm that funding is still available.
You will need to interview and select your intern according to your company’s standard recruitment procedures. If you would like to interview UWE Bristol graduates on campus, please contact the UWE Bristol Internships Team at email@example.com.
Once you have successfully recruited an intern, please complete the internship registration form (CareerHub login required). We cannot allocate the subsidy until we have received the registration form.
- All interns need to have commenced their employment on or before Monday 8 July 2019.
- All internships must be confirmed with UWE Bristol by Friday 5 July 2019.
- Funding is limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis provided you meet the scheme requirements.
- The scheme may close earlier if all funding has been allocated before Friday 5 July 2019.
Step 3: Complete and return the provided UWE Bristol internship agreement
Once you have confirmed the details set out in step 2 and eligibility has been confirmed, we will issue you a copy of our internship agreement.
We will require one original and signed hard copy posted
UWE Bristol Internships Team
3FC005, Felixstowe Court
Please use correct postage (ie a large letter stamp) or the internship agreement will not be delivered.
Your copy of the internship agreement
Once we have received and countersigned the internship agreement, we will send both you and your intern a scanned copy by email.
The internship agreement may be used as a contract of employment. However, we recommend you issue a separate contract of employment to your intern, which incorporates any organisational terms that may not be included in our internship agreement.
Step 4: Confirm whether you are a UWE Bristol supplier
Step 5: Complete your evaluation form
Step 6: Submit your invoice
UWE Bristol suppliers will be emailed a purchase order (PO) from our finance department once we have received your signed internship agreement, relevant financial documentation and completed evaluation form.
Frequently asked questionsView frequently asked questions
Contact our Internships Team
If you have any further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of the team on +44(0)117 32 85353.