UWE Bristol Undergraduate Internship Scheme 2020
Please note: Scheme closed. Due to overwhelming demand for our internships scheme, we have now closed to any new requests. Our remaining funding is now being allocated and if you have advertised an internship we will be in touch to inform you if you have been allocated funding. Thank you to everyone that has shown interest in the scheme. The details below are for information only for organisations that have been allocated funding.
The 2020 scheme has been redesigned to offer even greater support to SMEs, start-ups and charities during this challenging time. You can now employ one of our students with full funding provided; boosting your business, helping to aid economy recovery and providing essential work experience.
The scheme provides funding of £2,960 for an eight-week, remote-working internship (full-time option), which will bring vital, up to date and relevant skills into your organisation while giving you the opportunity to talent spot future leaders. The salary provided has been informed by guidance from the Living Wage Foundation in respect to national living costs and appropriate pay.
All eligible organisations can advertise remote-working internship opportunities on CareerHub (login required) that all our student have access to.
How the scheme works and funding arrangements
Overview and eligibility
SMEs*, start-ups and charities are eligible for the scheme. To take part, advertise your internship opportunity to students on CareerHub (login required), then recruit using your current company remote recruitment methods. To confirm funding for your internship, you must follow our step-by-step process below.
Internships must be carried out remotely and be project-based to add value to the student's CV, incorporating an element of training or mentoring.
*SMEs with 250 employees or less with an annual turnover of less than 50 million.
- Open to UK and EU domicile students.
- Students must be in year 1, 2, placement, or their final year graduating in 2020.
- Masters', postgraduate and PhD students are not eligible.
- Students completing UWE Bristol-accredited foundation degrees in partner further education colleges will be eligible providing there is evidence that they are continuing their studies with UWE Bristol in September 2020.
- You can nominate an eligible undergraduate who has contacted you speculatively.
- You cannot recruit an undergraduate who has previously worked for you in any paid capacity.
Scheme criteria and funding arrangements
Payment and working hours
- The subsidy to businesses is £2,960 (VAT exempt) per intern. Funding is limited and allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You need to be able to pay your intern £370 a week via PAYE before you receive the subsidy from UWE Bristol.
- Internships will be for a total of 296 hours which equates to eight weeks if full time (or flexible if part time). You can choose to employ the intern for longer if you wish, but this will be at your own expense.
- Your intern’s working week must remain at a maximum of 37 hours as denoted in the internship agreement. If they are working more than 37 hours per week, their salary must be adjusted accordingly.
- All internships must be completed by the end of September 2020.
- The intern must be employed by the business, not self-employed.
- If you are a private sector organisation, the intern must not have previously worked for you in any paid or unpaid capacity.
- If you are a third-sector organisation, interns that have previously volunteered with you are able to participate in the scheme.
- If you are related to your intern, you must disclose it on the registration form.
- Each organisation may only recruit one intern to participate in the scheme. If you have a further opportunity that you’d like to advertise, please email the UWE Bristol Internships Team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For further help in creating a suitable opportunity, recruitment and managing a remote internship, view our employer resource document.
- At the beginning of the internship, we will send you the PO number for you to claim the subsidy providing we have received all finance information in advance.
- The payment terms are a minimum of 30 days from the date of invoice.
- We will not process invoices until we have received all the documentation.
- Failure to notify us of your internship starting, late return of your internship agreement and/or relevant financial documentation will delay the payment of your salary subsidy –and may result in the subsidy not being allocated or paid for your intern.
- If, for any reason, the internship ends prematurely, we will require the subsidy to be reimbursed (as a proportion relating to the time actually worked). You must inform the UWE Bristol Internships team immediately of any such developments. We expect you and your intern to try to come to a resolution, however, we are here to assist you with any grievances should they arise.
What steps do I need to take?
Step 1: Create & Advertise your UWE Bristol Undergraduate Internship
- select the 'add vacancy' option on the left hand menu
- ensure that you include 'UWE Undergraduate Internship 2020' in the job title
- choose the 'UWE Internship Schemes' criteria before submitting the internship.
Your vacancy will be advertised to eligible UWE Bristol undergraduates who will apply to you directly. You can then remotely interview and select your intern according to your company’s standard recruitment procedures.
If you have already selected your intern, please add ‘Nominated Intern’ and the student’s name in the job title when uploading your opportunity. This will not be advertised to our students and is for our records only.
- To claim the subsidy you may be required to provide full employer financial information that includes utility bills and banks statements with; matching organisation name & addresses and correct bank sort code and account number.
- Advertising your vacancy on CareerHub does not guarantee that the vacancy will be filled.
- Registration on CareerHub and advertising a position does not guarantee funding.
Step 2: Recruiting your intern
Before you interview your intern, we recommend that you email the UWE Bristol Internships Team at email@example.com with the students’ name and student number to check their eligibility for the scheme and confirm that funding is still available.
You will need to remotely interview and select your intern according to your company’s standard recruitment procedures.
- All internships must be confirmed with UWE Bristol by 10 July 2020.
- All interns need to commence their employment on or before 27 July 2020.
- Funding is limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis provided you meet the scheme requirements.
- The scheme will close earlier if all funding is allocated.
Step 3: Internship Registration - confirm organisation and intern
Once you have recruited your intern, please complete the Internship registration form (link now removed as scheme is closed), that will be checked and confirmed before we allocate you funding.
To receive the subsidy, you must be set up as a UWE Bristol Supplier and we will check this when we receive your registration form. If you’re not, we will send you the new supplier form that you must complete and return with required evidence. Evidence includes utility bills and bank statements with matching organisation name & addresses and correct bank sort code and account number.
Documentation not returned to us may result in no subsidy being paid.
Step 4: Complete and return the provided UWE Bristol internship agreement
When we have confirmed eligibility to you, we will email you your internship agreement. Each agreement must be completed and electronically signed by you, your intern and UWE Bristol before the intern starts their internship.
The internship agreement may be used as a contract of employment. However, we recommend you issue a separate contract of employment to your intern, which incorporates any organisational terms that may not be included in our internship agreement.
Step 5: Submit your invoice
Step 6: Complete your feedback form
Frequently asked questions
Contact our Internships Team
We are now working remotely, therefore If you have any further questions, please email the Internships Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would prefer a call, please email us your contact details and we will call you back as soon as possible.