Case study - NHS Trusts
South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust and Gloucestershire Care Services both needed a programme to equip staff to meet organisational changes within the NHS.
South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust provides care and transport services. It employs more than 1,700 staff and covers an area of 3,000 square miles with a population of almost 2.4 million people.
Gloucestershire Care Services serves approximately 602,000 people and provides a range of services including community nursing and speech and language therapy.
Both organisations experienced substantial transition and needed a programme to equip staff to deal with large-scale change in an increasingly complex and uncertain environment.
Managers wanted staff to feel more confident about big organisational changes by linking their development with the Learning Qualities Framework (LQF) and to provide them with increased career visibility through a nationally recognised qualification.
We customised a Postgraduate Certificate to the needs of the client, taking into account the organisation's rate of change. The tailored programme of study was delivered on site to an initial cohort of 20 managers. The success of the programme led to the client commissioning a second cohort.
The programme ran over a 12-month period, and all modules included a focus on practical work issues as a core part of the learning process. The programme included a 360-degree diagnostic tool to provide participants with feedback from a range of managers, clients, staff and peers and help them gain greater self-awareness about their strengths and areas of development to help them become more effective in their roles.
As a result of the programme:
- participants developed strong reflective skills and the skills of lifelong learning. They were able to create positive learning environment within their teams and departments
- real organisational tasks and problems were studied and resolves using the knowledge and theory gained in the modules
- managers gained greater understanding of how to contribute to achieving the organisation’s vision and strategy
- team leaders learned how to cope with change and developed the skills to take people with them
- participants built good networks of support, knowledge and expertise across the organisation.
Want to find out more?
For further information on our services and programmes, or to arrange an initial meeting to discuss your needs, please contact the Bristol Business Engagement Centre (BBEC) and speak with a member of our team.