Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)
With many ways to enhance your career prospects, excellent tuition and outstanding support, our Bar Professional Training Course is a firm foundation for success as a barrister.
"During the course I undertook two mini pupillages and participated in the civil advocacy competition. I reached the final and made submissions for a High Court judge, which was an amazing experience. These experiences benefitted me hugely, as they gave me a real-life flavour of life at the Bar.” James Hartson BPTC graduate
Why take the BPTC at UWE Bristol?
- Teaching of the highest quality from a team of experienced tutors, who practised as barristers and solicitors.
- Highest level of student satisfaction rates across all the BPTC providers when last surveyed by the Bar Standards Board.
- Continuing very high levels of student satisfaction (95% would recommend UWE Bristol as their BPTC provider of choice as at December 2015).
- Highest percentage of outstanding full and part-time students as compared to all BPTC providers (last recorded for 2013-14). View BPTC key statistics 2011-2014 (page 24)
- Strong partnerships with Bristol Chambers, Bristol Law Society, local law firms and The Western Circuit.
- High quality pastoral care with your own personal tutor and award-winning specialist careers support.
- Hone your skills in mooting and advocacy competitions sponsored by local Chambers
- Work on live cases through our award-winning Pro Bono unit.
- A series of talks, events and networking opportunities that will help immerse you in the Bristol legal world.
- State-of-the-art facilities including mock court rooms and an online law library described as excellent by the Bar Standards Board
- Receive CV support pre-entry to the course from the date of payment of deposit.
Bar Standards Board feedback
At its inspection in March 2016 the Bar Standards Board identified many areas of Good Practice including:
- “The well managed and collegiate team.”
- “The exceptional student feedback on support from the teaching staff.”
- “The quality of teaching as observed by the Panel and reinforced by positive student feedback.”
- “The strong careers provision and links to the Bar and the efforts made to include part-time students.”
- “The diverse student cohort and the reflection of added value.”
The comments reaffirm Bristol Law School as a centre of excellence for the Bar Professional Training Course, where enabling individuals to develop to their full potential underpins both our teaching and the wide range of careers and other extracurricular activity we offer.
Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) film
Sophie changed careers to pursue her ambition of becoming a barrister. She studied the GDL and the BPTC part-time whilst working. Watch Sophie's film and find out how the courses have prepared her for her first pupillage.
BPTC course enquiries
If you have an enquiry about the Bar Professional Training Course please email firstname.lastname@example.org.