UWE Bristol website accessibility statement
We are actively working to make our web services accessible to all users.
As guiding principles, we:
- seek to identify and follow best practice for web accessibility
- aim to support current assistive technologies
- aim to promote an awareness of web accessibility issues
- set standards and targets for web resources produced and hosted by us.
Wherever possible, content and services are delivered using a standard set of elements and page templates which have been tested to support AA compliance as outlined in W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. Manual inspections are also made to website content before it is published to support AA compliance.
We actively seek opportunities to engage users with specific access requirements in the development of the University website.
We also periodically audit our web pages using third-party services to ensure they remain accessible and appropriate.
Tell us about an accessibility issue
If you encounter an issue with accessing one of our web resources, please contact us with details of the page you were viewing and the issue you experienced.
If for any reason you are not satisfied with the response to your accessibility feedback, please refer to the enforcement procedure outlined in the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) Accessibility Regulations 2018. We aim to provide an accessible alternative within a reasonable time where content doesn’t meet the standards and reasonable adjustment has not been made.
Some digital services delivered by the University currently use ageing or third-party provided technologies. There may be cases where these systems cannot deliver the same level of accessibility compliance as the core website offers and the University is not able to influence the code on those platforms. Third-party systems include:
- Blackboard online learning environment
- WCN job vacancies platform
- Summon library search
- ePrints research data repository
- Worktribe project information and management system (PIMS) and research repository
- myUWE student portal
- welcome.uwe applicant portal
- iTrent student vacancies platform
- infoHub student careers platform
- Wordpress blog platform
- Gecko Engage online forms
- Qualtrics survey forms
- mycpd.uwe applicant portal
- store.uwe online store
Some pages on the website use embedded content from other platforms (YouTube, Soundcloud, Flickr, Twitter) and while we have tried to implement this in the most accessible way achievable, there may be limitations to the experience supported by those providers.
Due to the large number of documents produced across the University some pdfs available from the website may not be as accessible as they could be. We are working towards a consistent approach to ensuring the accessibility of these across all areas of the University.