Car parking at Frenchay Campus

Frenchay Campus may seem big, but it has very limited car parking provision. All vehicles, except motorbikes, parked on Frenchay Campus between the hours of 07:00 and 17:00 Monday to Friday must display a parking permit in their vehicle. Vehicles must be parked in a designated parking bay.

If you drive to Frenchay Campus, you’ll need to make sure you always have two things:

  1. A valid car parking permit displayed (plus daily payment if necessary)
  2. Your UWE Bristol ID card so you can swipe through the barriers on the car park. If you don’t have your ID card with you, you won’t be able to access the car park. Only students who have successfully applied for a car parking permit will be able to swipe into the car park.

Undergraduate students

If you’re an undergraduate student and live within the exclusion zone, you cannot park your car on Frenchay Campus.

If you live outside the exclusion zone, you can apply for a permit. We double-check applications against our records, so don’t be tempted to mislead us about where you live during term-time just so you can get a permit.

Postgraduate students (including Continuing Professional Development(CPD) students)

If you’re a postgraduate or CPD student, you are not subject to the undergraduate exclusion zone. You'll still need to display a car parking permit.

Any postgraduate students living on Frenchay Campus will not be eligible to apply for a parking permit as part of the accommodation contract.

Car parking permit

All cars on Frenchay Campus need to display a car parking permit. There are two types, depending on how often you need to bring your car on to campus.

Types of permits

Annual permit

  • The cost for an annual permit for the 2019/20 academic year will be £120.
  • By having an annual permit, you don’t need to worry about using the pay and display machine.

Permission to park

  • The permission to park permit is free. It shows the car parking operations team that you’re permitted to park on campus.
  • Along with the permit, you’ll need to pay to park each day (£3 per day), using a pay and display machine located around campus.

How to apply for a permit

You can apply for both types of permits online through myUWE, under the ‘My Details’ tab. If you’re eligible, you’ll be able to print your permit yourself. It needs to be displayed in your windscreen. Windscreen wallets can be purchased for a small fee from any The Students' Union at UWE shop.

Failure to display a valid car parking permit will result in you receiving a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

Where can you park on Frenchay Campus?

  • Car parks 1, 2 and 3: East Entrance
  • Car parks 21, 22 and 23: North Entrance (by the Exhibition and Conference Centre).

If you are parked anywhere else on Frenchay Campus, including (but not limited to) double yellow lines, disabled bays, Halley Nursery pick-up bays, pavements, verges, etc. you'll receive a PCN.

Don't park your car in residential areas around Frenchay Campus. Many of the roads around the campus are either restricted by double yellow lines or have a residents-only permit scheme in place.

Getting a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

If you park your car in an unauthorised area including (but not limited to) double yellow lines, disabled bays, Halley Nursery pick up bays, pavements, verges, etc you'll receive a PCN.

If you pay your PCN within 14 days, it will be £20. After this, it rises to £40. If you don’t pay your PCN within 28 calendar days, we will request Keeper Details from the DVLA. This can be a lengthy process and you may not receive any further communication about your PCN for many months, but charges will still apply. Don't ignore it, it will only make things worse.

Further details about enforcement and appeals.

Back to top