Learning and Teaching Conference
The UWE Bristol Learning and Teaching Conference was first held in 2011 and is now an annual event. The conference provides a platform for those involved in teaching and supporting learning to communicate and share ideas about research and good practice in learning and teaching
Learning and Teaching Conference 2018 – Building Learning Communities
Discover what happened at our annual Learning and Teaching Conference, which was held on Thursday 7 June 2018.
The conference enables our staff and partners to hear experts on a key theme, collaborate, network and share excellent practice.
"Thank you for a very interesting day - a wonderful chance to learn."
Over 180 people attended the seventh UWE Bristol Annual Learning and Teaching Conference in the Bristol Business School on Frenchay campus. The theme of the conference was Building Learning Communities and reflected the following strands:
- Building identities: eg belonging, subject area societies, programme identity
- Learning together: eg team-based learning opportunities, enquiry-based learning, problem-based learning, group work, ad hoc groups, short term in classroom or longitudinal
- Working in partnership: eg with external organisations, students and staff, cross-faculty.
The conference heard contributions from:
- Dr David Tree, Director of Teaching and Learning (Life Sciences), Brunel University, London
- Professor Jane Harrington, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Provost, UWE Bristol
- Professor Elizabeth Cleaver, Director of Learning and Teaching, UWE Bristol
- UWE Bristol students: presenting with staff and in a dedicated session giving their experiences of learning communities via vlog and in person
- Jamie Jordon, Vice President Education The Students' Union at UWE
- UWE Bristol and partner institutions staff sharing practice and ideas in a range of parallel conference paper presentations and workshop sessions.
Our keynote speaker, Dr David Tree, was very well received with many delegates commenting on how thought-provoking his talk was.
One delegate was inspired by "the range of excellent, committed and inspiring staff across UWE doing great work!" and another said, "Good presenters. V interesting. I learnt a lot that I want to take away and think about how I can implement it into my practice".
View resources from the conference
View presentations, and download posters from this year's conference. Access conference resources.