Applied Sciences graduate destinations
From the moment our students start, they get careers information and advice – from employers, our careers team, and their tutors. So by the time they graduate, they will be equipped with the experience, contacts and skills to succeed in their chosen careers.
Great graduate careers
Our graduates find work in public and private sector organisations in a range of jobs:
Biological Science graduates:
- Diabetic Retinopathy Screener/Grader
- Scientific Researcher
- Quality Control Technician
- Money Laundering Officer
- Cell Process Technician
- Software Tester and Deployment
- Recruitment Consultant.
Biomedical Science graduates:
- Scientific Officer
- Biomedical Scientist
- Research Technician
- Microbiology Analyst
- Independent Consultant and Medical Writer
- Drug Safety Associate
- Graduate Research Scientist.
Environmental Science, Wildlife and Ecology graduates:
- Higher Statistical Office
- Media and Events co-ordinator
- Permitting Officer
- Environmental Tutor
- Organised Survey Explosive Device Technician
- Property Manager.
Thanks to the transferable skills they develop, some go into business-focused careers such as consultancy, financial sector, business and management.
Top graduate employers
The South West has a wide range of potential employers including a large research sector. Our graduates find jobs with these, farther afield or overseas. Examples of recent graduate employers include:
- Police forces – eg Avon and Somerset Constabulary
- Forensic science companies – eg Key Forensic Services and LGC Forensics
- NHS trusts – eg North Bristol NHS Trust and Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- The Environment Agency
- Office for National Statistics
- The Institute of Cancer Research
- Nuffield Health
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies – eg Catalent Pharma Solutions and Glaxosmithcline
- County Councils – eg Cornwall County Council
- Business sector - eg Lloyds Bank, Lush Cosmetics, Dyson.
Approximately one third of graduates go on to further study or research for a PhD. Courses and research areas pursued by recent graduates include:
- MSc Physician Associate
- PGCE (teacher training)
- M.B, Ch.B. Medicine
- MSc Advanced Wildlife Conservation in Practice
- MRes Applied Sciences
- MSc Biomedical Science
- MSc Science Communication
- PhDs in Alzheimer's disease research, cancer science, plant science.
Strong employer partnerships
We have employer partners who shape our courses; give careers presentations and advice; and provide placements and work experience. They also attend our annual Science Futures Fair along with employers like the Woodlands Trust, Thermofisher, the Civil Service, and Avon and Somerset Police. This gives students the opportunity to learn about diverse careers across a range of sectors.
Work experience is vital in today's crowded jobs market. And while our students are here, we provide one-to-one support to help them find experience that fits their career plans.
Placement students are more likely to go into high-level graduate jobs and have a higher average starting salary. As well as helping our students find a placement, we will prepare them through employability workshops. Find out more about placements.
Specialist careers support
Sector-specific careers advice is available for each department and one-to-ones are available with our dedicated team. There’s a ‘wall of work’ advertising the latest internships and graduate opportunities. And students can come to weekly careers panels, seminars and workshops to find out more about opportunities.
And it doesn't end when students graduate. Alumni can access our careers services up until three years after graduation.
See more information about UWE Bristol's excellent university rankings and reputation.