Student Advice Data Privacy Statement
The Student Advice Privacy Statement incorporates Student Advice Team; Money, Advice and Funds Team; Immigration Advice Service and Points Based System Team.
When you registered you gave us the right to hold and process your personal information including sensitive personal information for administrative purposes in order to provide you with educational services, including pastoral care and advice and guidance, as outlined in the UWE Bristol Terms and Conditions. Your information with be held confidentially and is available to staff across 3 student advice teams in order to enhance the quality of service available to you, and for any other legitimate reason.
This statement applies to services given to service users by:
- Student Advice Team
- Money, Advice and Funds Team
- Immigration Advice Service and Points Based System Team.
We will process your non-sensitive and sensitive personal data in line with the UWE Data Protection Policy. We will hold your data securely in accordance with the conditions of the 1998 Data Protection Act and not make it available to any third party unless permitted or required to do so by law. The university’s Data Controller is the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Commercial Director and Corporation Secretary).
We will only use your non-sensitive and sensitive personal data to:
- provide you with information, advice, guidance and support regarding any issues that you might raise with us relating to you being a student at UWE Bristol
- monitoring, evaluating, auditing and developing our services – data will be anonymised
- responding to any complaints you make about our services.
We will only share relevant items of your information with appropriately trained UWE staff to fulfil these purposes, and in line with professional ethical guidelines. This may include:
- when booking an appointment, the information you initially provide may be processed and viewable by student services staff
- liaising with academic staff or other professional services where necessary (e.g. Accommodation Services, Admissions, Student Support and Wellbeing, Student and Academic Services), for delivering the service(s) you have requested
- your non-sensitive and sensitive personal
Otherwise, we will only share information we have about you if we have permission or if:
- it is required by law, e.g. a breach of immigration conditions
- we have reasonable belief that you have breached the University’s regulations or policies
- there is a serious risk of harm to yourself or to others.
We will keep your data for up to six years after the end of the academic year in which you last used our services, after which it will be confidentially destroyed.
Accessing your information
- You may gain access to your sensitive and non-sensitive personal information by completing the Data Protection subject access request form
- You can ask us to correct any errors in the information we have about you
- You may opt out of any further contact with us.
How to contact us
Student Services Administration Office, University of the West of England, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY. Telephone: +44 (0)117 32 85678. Email: Infopoint@uwe.ac.uk.
The University's Data Protection Officer is James Button at James2.Button@uwe.ac.uk.
Version: Student Advice Data Privacy Statement v 2017. Date published 22 February 2012