A student helping another with studying

Casual workers

Information and resources for members of staff working for us on a casual basis.

This page provides all the necessary paperwork to get you set up on the PAYE HR payroll system to being paid for the work you have done. Work offered on a casual basis is in accordance with our Casual Workers Agreement.

Please note: If you are employed by the University on a permanent or fixed-term contract of employment you should not use the Casual Worker timesheet to claim for additional hours.

If you have been offered temporary work via the TSU Resourcing Team, the team will provide you with information regarding payment.

Before you start

Right to work

Any offer of work from UWE Bristol will be conditional upon you proving that you have permission to live and work in the UK. You must bring evidence of your right to work in the UK to your engaging manager before you start work. You should not begin working until we have seen and taken a copy of this evidence.

If, as a potential casual worker, you are a student member of a non-EEA state, you should produce your passport complete with visa. If the visa reads: ‘Work (and any changes) must be authorised by the Secretary of State’ or ‘Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State’, there are limitations as to the maximum hours you can work. This means that, at UWE Bristol, you can work up to 16 hours maximum per week during term time, and up to 37 hours maximum per week during holidays.

If the visa reads ‘No work' then you must not work while you study. For further information see Gov.uk/UKVI.

For all Right to Work checks the University must check the following:

  • That any photographs contained in the documentation are consistent with the appearance of the individual.
  • Consistency of dates of birth across documents.
  • That the expiry dates of any limited leave to enter or remain in the UK have not passed.

If you present documents which have different names, you will need to provide additional documentation (eg marriage certificate, divorce decree, deed poll document or statutory declaration) to explain the reason for this.

We will copy all original documents presented.

Please note: Photocopies have to be signed (by the person checking) and dated to verify that the original documents have been seen.


You will be required to complete a Casual Worker Registration form. Your engaging manager will email this as an attachment or send a link via email. This is an Microsoft Excel document and should be completed electronically. If you require this form in a different format please contact Payroll on +44 (0)117 32 85110.

Once the copies of your Right to Work documents have been taken, you will be issued with a Casual Worker Agreement.

When you start work your engaging manager will send you an electronic casual worker timesheet

This will be submitted monthly in time for the relevant HR payroll cut-off date (this is normally within the first week of each month). If you are working over a number of weeks you will need to keep it up to date as you complete the work and submit it to your engaging manager in time. This form is based in Microsoft Excel and should be completed electronically. If you require this form in a different format please contact Payroll on the number below.

Please note: The previous timesheet which was submitted weekly no longer exists. If you are given this version please ask your engaging manager for the new monthly version.

Tax and National Insurance

If you have a P45 please provide this to HR Payroll on your first day of work. If you do not have a P45 you will need to complete a Starter Checklist.

Step by step

  • Complete Part one of the Casual Worker Registration form and return to your engaging manager.
  • Present your Right to Work documentation to your engaging manager (or HR Payroll) prior to or on your first day of work.
  • Ensure you are given a Casual Worker Agreement once your Right to Work has been copied.
  • Complete your timesheet on a weekly basis and email to your engaging manager by the end of the month.

Please note: Payment is made on the 27th of the month or previous working day if that is a weekend or Bank Holiday. Please ensure you send your timesheet to your manager by the end of the month to meet the next month's payroll.

Other helpful documents

Contact us

Email: personnel.payroll@uwe.ac.uk

+44 (0)117 32 85110

Visit us:
Northavon House
Frenchay Campus
Coldharbour Lane
BS16 1QY

Back to top