Construction team working on a building site

Contractor Induction


What is the Contractor Induction?

The contractor induction provides an introduction to the University, explores some hazards that may be faced on site and explains the key safety rules for working at UWE Bristol. The induction consists of three videos, followed by a short questionnaire and should take roughly 30 minutes in total.

Asbestos Awareness

If you don't have a valid asbestos awareness certificate then please obtain one before coming to UWE Bristol as you will not be issued a Contractor Pass without a valid certificate. There are certain contractors who won't require an asbestos awareness certificate due to the nature of their work on campus. In this case please contact your UWE representative or email for clarification.

CSCS cards/Safety Passport Scheme

  • Please email a valid Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) or industry affiliated card number (e.g. CPCS, CISRS, JIB etc.) or for non-construction operatives, a valid Safety Passport Scheme card to

Please note that these details will be checked. Without this number you will not be able to complete the induction and will not be able to attend. Operatives must also bring their cards with them and carry them at all times while at work on UWE Bristol sites.

Who has to undertake the Contractor Induction and why?

All contractors and consultants working at UWE Bristol must carry a valid contractor pass. We will only issue passes to contractors with a reasonable level of safety awareness. Therefore, to obtain a new pass or renew an existing pass you must undertake the UWE Bristol Contractor Induction .

If you have emailed all the required documentation, watched all three induction videos, and you pass the questionnaire, your Contractor Pass will be ready to collect from Facilities in Northavon House (first floor) on Frenchay Campus. The pass is valid for two years.

Is this a new pass application?

Please email a current colour photographs of passport size and quality in jpeg/jpg format to

Is this a renewal pass application?

Please bring your existing Contractor Pass to Facilities in North Avon House. If it has been lost, then a charge of £5 will be payable for a replacement card in the first instance. You will also have to undertake the full Contractor Induction process as above.

Lost, damaged or stolen passes

  • Please contact UWE Bristol Security immediately for lost or stolen passes via email:
  • Please request a replacement pass for damaged passes via email:

For all lost, damaged or stolen passes, a charge of £5 will be payable in the first instance. You do not need to complete the full induction if you undertook it within the last 2 years.

View the Contractor Induction

Back to top