Useful community contacts

If you are experiencing problems with your neighbours, use the contacts below for information and advice.

UWE Community Liaison helpline

For general advice or to make a complaint about a UWE student, please contact:

Tel: +44(0)117 328 1222

Anti-social behaviour

The Anti-social Behaviour Team can take action against anti-social behaviour from issuing verbal warnings right up to obtaining an Anti-Social Behaviour Order (ASBO).

Bristol City Council
Tel: +44 (0)117 352 5248

South Gloucestershire Council
Tel: +44 (0)01454 868586


The local council should always be contacted first if there is a problem with rubbish left uncollected. They can arrange a clear up and charge those responsible.

They have powers to impose fines of up to £50,000 for fly tipping or Fixed Penalty Notices of £75 for littering.

Bristol City Council
Tel: +44 (0)117 9222 100

South Gloucestershire Council - Steet Care
Tel: +44(0)1454 868000


City Council Noise Officers have powers to deal with noise complaints, including Noise Abatement Notices, formal Cautions, prosecution (maximum fine is £5,000 for domestic cases) and in extreme cases confiscation of music equipment.

The Noise Control Team work until midnight most nights and until 3:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.

Bristol City Council
Tel: +44 (0)1179 222 500

South Gloucestershire Council
Tel: +44(0)1454 868 001

Environmental health and trading standards

Responsible for health and safety, pollution, food, health promotion, animal health, licensing, trading standards and pest control.

South Gloucestershire Council
Tel: +44(0)1454 868 001

The students’ landlord

Under the Housing Act 2004, a licensed landlord must be a fit and proper person with suitable management arrangements for their property and this includes controlling anti-social behaviour.

Many tenancies will have clauses in them specifically prohibiting nuisance and noise. Landlords can be traced through the letting agents or, for a small fee, through the Land Registry online property search.

Neighbour mediation

Bristol Mediation offers a confidential and impartial neighbour mediation service to all Bristol residents.

Tel: +44 (0)1179 043 321


Call the Avon and Somerset Police non-emergency telephone number:

Tel: 101

You can also find your local Neighbourhood Beat Officer.

Back to top