Activities and campaigns
At UWE Bristol, we take a hands on approach to putting our community commitments into practice and in building community relations.
Activities to date
A number of activities have already been successfully completed. These include:
- Introduction of the Stoke Park parking restrictions scheme.
- Promotion of the UWE Bristol's Sports Centre facilities among the local community.
- Talks by the campus police officer on student safety and security.
- Providing information to students about private rented accommodation, eg what to look for, tenancy agreements and responsibilities.
- Setting up of the Student Community Partnership.
- Annual waste campaign to target student waste left at the end of the academic year in partnership with Bristol University and Bristol City Council. See the student Clear Out leaflet for information or visit the Facebook page. To find out how many donations were made this year, read the Bristol Big Give Wrap Up Report.
- Creation of the ongoing 'Have a Safe Night Out' campaign. View the campaign case study for details of the aims and objectives.
- Running an Islamic Cultural Fayre in Eastville Park, Bristol for families. The event was part sponsored by the Community Together Fund and included a variety of stalls and activities. Read the full report.
- The donation of spare bikes to Life Cycle UK projects plus students who donate their time to restore bikes and help out at Life Cycle events. This activity is part funded by the Community Together Fund.
Future activities and campaigns
We have prioritised the following activities and campaigns for the next 12 months:
- Campaign to encourage lettings agencies, management companies and individual registered landlords to sign up to a Code of Conduct on the management of their properties and tenants.
- Create a 'Moving In' box for students moving into private rented accommodation. This will include information regarding tenant responsibilities, landlord responsibilities, the waste calendar, Students' Union calendar, 'Keeping the peace' top ten tips guide, accommodation guide and community contacts.
- Student safety campaigns to promote student safety and security of property.
- Encourage students to respect their neighbourhood to raise students’ sense of belonging and responsibility for their neighbourhoods.
- Continue the 'Have a Safe Night Out' campaign to promote responsible drinking and personal safety to students and local communities.
- Promote healthy living amongst students, staff and the wider community.
- Involve student volunteers in the campaigns to offer students an opportunity to engage with their local communities as active citizens and raise the profile of the positive contributions students make to society.