Biodiversity and ecology
UWE Bristol campuses cover an area of 150 hectares, with large areas of Glenside campus and Bower Ashton designated a conservation area. Working with the natural environment to maximise biodiversity, our grounds team use sustainable gardening techniques to create beautiful spaces for students and staff to use for leisure, for study and for practical experience
What are UWE Bristol doing to support biodiversity?
We are developing diverse ecosystems through:
- Increasing artificial habitats for bats, birds, butterflies, and ladybirds by providing appropriate planting, boxes and feeding stations.
- Improving biodiversity and edible planting at Glenside Campus; including a small orchard, clear water pond, native bulb planting, additional herb planting, and artificial habitats.
- Extending artificial habitat sites across Frenchay campus to include all areas.
- Continuing evolution of the community garden, including engagement with Green Team and Wellbeing Services; improvement of disabled access and introduction of raised beds for wheelchair users.
- Developing on site plant nursery to include production of more edible plants.
- Upgrading campus maps to include the highlighting of edible herbs and fruit trees on site.
- Increasing plant labels and information points to promote biodiversity of the grounds.
- Processing over 90% of our green waste on site to return back as compost onto the grounds.
- Using 100% peat free compost and growing mediums.
- Plus our electric revolution: over 90% of our grounds maintenance tools are electric powered, including lawnmowers and electric buggies resulting in less noise and air pollution.
What you can do - enjoy, study, garden
- Join our weekly lunch-time walks at Frenchay Campus.
- Come on a Bee walk and talk; visit our hives and learn about their world.
- Get practical experience of permaculture sustainable gardening techniques at our community garden sessions at Frenchay Campus. Individual and group plots available.
- Learn about the trees at Glenside Campus during a lunch-time stroll.
- Become part of The Students' Union Green Team and make your ideas heard.
- Get involved with wildflower and pond surveys and, our Landscape Management plans and site tours.
For all events email the Sustainability Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on mailing list. If your student or staff group would like a walk or talk specifically for you, we are happy to do this.
Biodiversity Management Plan 2014-2020
We have developed our 2020 Biodiversity Management Plan with input from UWE Bristol academics, local wildlife trusts, local councils, residential and business neighbours and local schools. For a copy email our Grounds Manager, Richie Fluester at Richie.Fluester@uwe.ac.uk.
Student support and projects
We are keen for students to learn from our management of the grounds. We can support you by providing campus tours, information and interviews. Again email Richie.Fluester@uwe.ac.uk for support.