Get involved in sustainability
UWE Bristol has over 30,000 students and 3,000 staff and together we have a sizeable impact on the planet and society. With climate action becoming ever more urgent, we are working to make a truly sustainable university a reality. Find out more and get involved in positive ways forward for change and our future.
For students – the Green team and more
- Be inspired! Watch our Green Team film.
- Take positive action with The Students' Union Green Team – with over 1,400 students signed up and practical projects and campaigns there is sure to be something to interest you.
- Make your ideas a reality; put forward an idea at Student Ideas, apply for up to £500 project funding from Change for Change.
- If you are a member of a sports club apply for a Greener Futures award.
- Get involved in oversight of the University’s Carbon Management plan, its Ethical investment policy and its all-encompassing Sustainability Plan for 2030; email email@example.com.
- Introduce and increase the focus on sustainability in your course. Talk to your course reps and tutors direct and/or contact Vicki Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join in with UWE Bristol Green Week in October and Fairtrade Fortnight in February/March.
- Support with our #plasticdetox and food waste campaigns.
- Take part in projects such as GreenSpace and Green School ambassadors with UWE Bristol Volunteering.
- Learn how to grow your own vegetables on Frenchay campus at the Community Garden. Contact our Grounds Manager, Richie Fluester, at email@example.com.
For staff - UWE Bristol sustainability network
Across the University there is an informal network of over 600 people who are interested in hearing what's going on and improving the way we do things.
To get the information straight to your inbox, sign up to our email list (approximately five emails a year). And if you would like to invite a member of the Sustainability Team to come and talk to your staff group, or lead a campus walk or anything else just get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also engage with the Sustainability Team via our social media channels. We'd love to hear from you on:
Making sustainability a reality
Here are some of the ways that students and staff are making a difference:
- Taking part in student inductions in Freshers’ Week.
- Working with Hospitality Services and The Students' Union to increase vegan and vegetarian menu options
- Lobbying Cleaning Services to use vegan plant based cleaning materials.
- Running clothes swap shops.
- Acting as ambassadors for Fairtrade and holding events in Fairtrade Fortnight.
- Carrying out green office audits and using our online staff induction (staff login required).
- Promoting the #Saynotoplastics campaign on campus to reduce single use plastics.