Get involved in sustainability
UWE Bristol has over 25,000 students and 3,000 staff and together we are working to make sustainability a reality at UWE Bristol.
For students – the Green team and more
- Be inspired! Watch our Green Team film.
- Get informed and take positive action with The Students' Union Green Team – with over 1,400 students signed up and practical projects and campaigns there is sure to be something for you.
- Make your ideas a reality; put forward an idea at Student Ideas, apply for up to £500 project funding from Change for Change or become a member of the Green Team committee.
- If you are a member of a sports club apply for a Greener Futures award.
- Get involved in oversight and monitoring of the University’s Carbon Management plan, its Ethical investment policy and its all-encompassing Sustainability Plan for 2020; email email@example.com.
- Want more focus on sustainability in the curriculum? Talk to your course reps and tutors direct and/or contact Vicki Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join in with UWE Bristol Big Green Week in October and Fairtrade Fortnight in February/March.
- Support with our #plasticdetox and food waste campaigns.
- Take part in green projects such as GreenSpace and Green School ambassadors with UWE Bristol Volunteering.
- Grow your own vegetables on campus at the Community Garden. Contact Vicki Harris at email@example.com.
For staff and students - UWE Bristol sustainability network
Across the University there is an informal network of over 500 people who are interested in improving the way we do things. Anyone can get involved either as an individual or as a representative of a staff or student group.
The network is supported by the sustainability team, and exchange experiences, good practices and news. Contact the Sustainability Team to find out what is going on, sign up to the bi-monthly email, and invite a member of the team to come and talk to your staff or student group.
You can also engage with the Sustainability Team via our social media channels. We'd love to hear from you on:
Making sustainability a reality
Here are some of the ways that students and staff are making a difference:
- Taking part in inductions in Freshers’ Week.
- Working with Hospitality Services and The Students' Union to increase vegan and vegetarian menu options
- Lobbying Cleaning Services to use vegan plant based cleaning materials.
- Running swap shops on all campuses.
- Acting as ambassadors for Fairtrade and holding events in Fairtrade Fortnight.
- Carrying out green office audits and using our online staff induction (staff login required).
- Promoting the #Saynotoplastics campaign on campus to reduce single use plastics.
We always need help. If you want to gain experience in communications and marketing, running campaigns and events, contact Vicki Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.