UWE Bristol as a Learning Laboratory
UWE Bristol’s Estates and Facilities teams and in particular the sustainability team work closely with academics to facilitate the use of the experience of our staff and our practical work on our campuses for practice-based learning in real world settings.
In discussion with academics and students to meet their specific needs, the sustainability team provide: workshops, lectures, short induction talks, short and long term projects, assignments and placements, tours, virtual tools, film showings, events and external speakers.
Why work with the team?
- Link theory and practice in a meaningful way
- A kind but professional environment for your students
- Space to experiment and take risks
- Increase student connection with UWE Bristol
- Student learning may inform our staff practice
- Students may see their work applied on campus
- Opportunities to develop projects across disciplines
- Involve external organisations
- We offer and organise events with external speakers
- Free to use
Teaching and Learning is a growing area of the sustainability team’s work – in the last year over 500 students and 150 staff were reached in over 20 subject areas. Here are some examples of student projects and placements:
- Work based learning placement on introduction of sustainable period products on campus
- Analysis of food waste in Onezone café and suggestions for improvement
- Management of events in campus Fairtrade fortnight programme
- Web design behaviour change campaigns on eg Fairtrade, Say No To Plastics
- Analysis of water metering data from showering in Student Village
- Films on cutting plastics usage for social media
- Survey of the health of our ponds.
To discuss your ideas and the potential for collaboration, please contact Vicki Harris at email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07985 982294.
How academic staff can support Sustainability Services
Staff in the Sustainability Services welcome interaction with academic staff for mutual benefit and to enhance the student experience.
If you are involved in a piece of work you think may be useful to us in our work, please get in touch. If you are planning a lecture or seminar, or have an external speaker on a relevant issue, please let us know and if appropriate we can promote it to other staff students and members of the public .