Voice for all
We want to ensure that all voices are heard, not just the loudest. We will ensure that all staff and students have opportunities to influence decision making about provision which affects their experiences at UWE Bristol.
How do we do this?
The objectives and actions set out within the Single Equality Scheme action plan will help us realise our aims and ensure that equality and diversity is embedded in everything that we do.
We have forums and networks which are actively involved in the decision making process at UWE Bristol:
Frequently asked questions
What does an Equality and Diversity Champion do?
An Equality and Diversity Champion promotes equality and diversity issues in their faculty or service. Anyone can become a Champion as long as they have an interest in the issues.
Diversity Champions can:
- Speak up for positive and practical changes to address equality and diversity issues wherever possible.
- Attend the Equality and Diversity Forum three times a year and feed back relevant information to their faculty or service.
- Promote the interests of individuals with particular protected characteristics.
- Get involved in training and learning activities.
- Help to spread equality and diversity information across the service or faculty.
- Find out about any equality and diversity analysis which is being undertaken and provide help and support.
- Promote and, where appropriate, help to organise equality and diversity events.
- Make links between UWE Bristol and communities, or events outside the University.
- Know the Equality Management Group representatives and other people in their faculty or service who are interested or involved in equality and diversity issues.
For more information about becoming a Diversity Champion, please contact the Equality and Diversity Unit.
What does a Diversity Ally do?
Diversity Allies are staff in positions of influence who make a public commitment to promote equality. They could be senior managers, academics, professional service managers.
Diversity Allies seek to inspire and motivate colleagues and students to help make UWE Bristol an inclusive university. Diversity Allies lead by example in challenging inequality and fostering change within their Faculties and professional Services. They commit to attending staff or student networks, leading diversity discussions, completing the Equality and Diversity Equality Essentials e-learning course. Allies sign up to ten principles:
- Get to know the issues
- Make it personal
- Be yourself
- Ask for help
- Be visible
- Put words into practice
- Demonstrate leadership
- Mentor and support staff from equality groups
- Hold colleagues to account
- Make it natural
For more information about becoming a Diversity Ally, please contact the Equality and Diversity Unit.
Did you know?
Over 1,200 staff and students are represented on staff and student bodies.
See UWE Bristol's equality and diversity data.
Equality and diversity events
- Library Reading Groups
19/11/2019 - 12/12/2019
- Politics and Protest: Posters from the Women's Liberation Movement 1970-2000
19/11/2019 - 13/12/2019
- Equity speaker event: Writing about Race