Placements and opportunities in Computing
A placement gives you the chance to put your skills into practice, learn about the different career paths available to you and expand your network of industry contacts. With experience under your belt, you’ll stand out to future employers, too.
During your studies, you will benefit from placements and opportunities and field trips. Hearing from industry speakers and attending regular presentations from industry professionals will help to build your knowledge and professional network. Past speakers have included Avon and Somerset Constabulary High Tech Crime Unit, Fujitsu, Hewlett Packard and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
You will also be able to broaden your views by taking part in various opportunities:
- Take a guided tour of Bletchley Park where Turing and his colleagues helped break the German's Enigma code during World War 2.
- Visit and tour CERN in Geneva, home of the Large Hadron Collider and other pioneering equipment.
- Travel further afield on overseas field trips, like a group of BSc(Hons) Digital Media students who recently travelled to Hong Kong.
- Immerse yourself on a cyber security training weekend, working with seasoned industry professionals.
- Make a difference to the local community by getting involved in CAKE, our Community Action and Knowledge Exchange.
- Showcase your inventions and impress potential employers at the annual degree show. Past exhibits include a security application, which uses facial recognition to track people in a building, and an online pinboard for sharing videos, text and other data.
- Attend conferences, including the British Computing Society's Ada Lovelace Colloquium.
- Test your mettle in competitions such as the Cyber Security Challenge UK and the First Lego League.
- Get involved with industry events such as our Hackathon, which is run in conjunction with BT. It provides teams of students with the opportunity to compete and come up with a solution to a scenario presented by BT. This year’s prizes were drones!
Computing at UWE Bristol video
Hear Computing students talk about their experiences:
Hear about how some of our students benefitted from a placement:
After months of searching for the right role, Rich was accepted onto a placement as a business administrator at Hargreaves Lansdown.
A one-year industrial placement at IBM gave Manvi some invaluable insights into where her degree could take her beyond university.
Justin had a clear idea of where he wanted to do his placement. His focus led to a successful year and a great start to his career.