Oxford Standard for the Citation Of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA)
How to reference using the OSCOLA standard. For students taking Law degrees only.
New to OSCOLA referencing?
How to format your references
Official OSCOLA guides
Authoritative guidance from the University of Oxford - the originators of the OSCOLA standard.
- Quick OSCOLA guide (4th edition)
- Full OSCOLA guide (4th edition)
- International Law Sources
- OSCOLA Ireland (2nd edition)
- Frequently asked questions about OSCOLA
Supplementary guidance not found in the official OSCOLA guides.
- COM/SEC documents
- Current law statutes (annotated)
- Neutral citations
- Home Office and other government publications
- Foreign law sources
- Photographs and other images
- Fordham Citation Manual for European Union Materials
- Example of a bibliography using the OSCOLA standard
- Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations
Online quiz and tutorial
A quick quiz to check your understanding of OSCOLA referencing.
- Citing the
An interactive tutorial from Cardiff University to familiarise you with the 4th edition of OSCOLA.
- OSCOLA workshops
- Ask a Librarian with 24/7 live chat
Library staff are happy to advise on referencing; however, they are unable to proof-read academic work.
Study skills events
- How to reference and avoid plagiarism
- How to get started with critical writing
- How to improve your critical writing
- PAL (Peer Assisted Learning): emotional resilience
- Postgraduate writing for dissertations: literature reviews
- Postgraduate writing for dissertations: writing up
See more Study skills events