Mobility impairments


The University encourages all applicants and students to disclose any disability and support needs they might have. Without this information, we would be unable to offer you the appropriate information and support eg exam adjustments.

If you have not already disclosed via your application form, you can contact Disability Service.


In order to provide you with support and adjustments to your studies, you will need to submit appropriate evidence for your disability or medical condition.

For guidelines on appropriate disability evidence, please visit the Student Finance Eligibility web page.


Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) is available from your funding body. Depending on your eligibility funding can cover such things as study skills tuition, specialist equipment etc.

DSA is non-means tested and is available alongside any other funding you may receive. For more information about DSAs visit the Student Finance website.

DSA support and equipment is normally recommended in a Study Needs Assessment. Once your funding body confirm you are eligible for support, a trained assessor will carry out an assessment of needs. This assessment can be booked through Access West of England which is based on Frenchay Campus.

If you are not eligible for funding from your funding body or you are an International student, UWE Bristol may be able to help you with study support. For more information contact Disability Service.

Study support

The support and equipment you will receive at the University is normally decided through your DSA Study Needs Assessment. Depending on your support needs the following may be applicable to you:

  • General support workers eg specialist lab support.
  • Provision of assistive technology (equipment and software).
  • Ergonomic aids such as mouse, chairs, table etc.
  • Exam adjustments such as extra time, rest breaks etc.
  • Printing and photocopying allowances.

Individual faculties can provide subject specific support through their own Study Skills Centres and PAL sessions.

Additional support

If you wish to transfer support that you currently receive from Social Services, please discuss this with your social services department.

If you feel that you may need support or assistance moving away from home, please contact Disability Service to discuss this.

Campus accessibility

Frenchay Campus has many accessible features including lifts to different levels, automatic doors and clearly marked accessible routes. Other UWE Bristol campuses are also accessible, however, due to the age of the buildings, there may be some minor navigational issues.

We encourage you to visit the campus where your course will be based as this should help you judge whether you will need orientation support.

Parking for disabled students

All campuses also have wide disabled bays and Frenchay has a designated car park for blue badge holders. To find out more about accessible parking and to obtain car parking permits, please visit the transport pages.

Back to top