You should have in your hand luggage the following documents:
- Passport (containing your student visa) and ID card if applicable
- Offer letter from UWE
- UWE Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies documentation
- Evidence of your funding – sponsor letter or bank statement used to obtain your visa
- Printed confirmation of your accommodation, including address
- IELTS / English Language qualification certificate
- Airport pickup booking confirmation e-mail (if applicable)
- Sufficient money in cash/credit card/travel cheques to support yourself for first few weeks until you open a UK bank account
- Photocopies of important documents (leave a copy with your family at home too)
These must be paper documents (not on an electronic tablet or mobile phone).
Other travel items for your hand luggage:
- Warm jumper and coat - you may find the UK is a bit cooler than your home country.
Limit your luggage to a maximum of two suitcases. It is your responsibility to carry your own luggage.
- Clothes - Pack lots of layers and warm clothes! There is no formal dress code at UWE – most students dress informally, for example in jeans, trousers, or a skirt with a jumper or t-shirt. Bring clothes for a special occasion, for example a suit, dress or traditional dress. Religious dress can be worn at any time and discrimination on religious grounds is illegal in the UK.
- Personal items - Pack some personal belongings (such as photographs, postcards and ornaments) to make your accommodation feel more familiar.
- Packed converters and chargers if you are bringing electrical appliances (the UK uses 230 volts)
Cooking equipment, books, food and bedding
Wait until you have arrived in the UK. There are strict controls on importing foodstuffs and plants. For further information on restricted goods, please see the Gov.uk website.