UWE Bristol Go Global Bursary
The UWE Go Global Bursary offers financial assistance to UWE Bristol undergraduate students who are looking to work, study or volunteer abroad. Applications for the 2018 Go Global Bursary will open in phases.
Go Global Bursary scheme
The Bursary pays £500 for European and £1,000 for international opportunities; you will need to demonstrate that the activity is going to be beneficial to your future employment prospects.
Examples of activities that last at least two weeks which must take place outside of the UK include:
- Internships and work experience
- Cultural immersion programmes such as those run by the British Council
- Teaching opportunities
- Volunteering opportunities
- Study abroad (non-Erasmus 18/19).
The Go Global Bursary is not available for study abroad opportunities, which attract Erasmus funding. Study abroad students who do not receive Erasmus funding are able to apply. View information about studying abroad, including details of funding support.
Eligibility for the Go Global Bursary
The Go Global Bursary is open to full-time undergraduate students from lower income backgrounds. Please read the following criteria before you proceed with your application:
- You haven't previously received the UWE Go Global Bursary.
- You're a UWE Bristol undergraduate student.
- You're a home student. If you're unsure of your student status, please view information on how to determine your fee status.
- Your global opportunity lasts at least two weeks.
- You've been means tested for your student funding for the 2017–18 academic year.
- You're a current UK domiciled undergraduate student at the point of making your application for the bursary. We'll accept applications from current final year students but you need to have completed your activity by Friday 25 May 2018.
If the answer is yes to all of the above, please proceed with your application (view details in the below How to apply section) for the detailed student finance funding figures needed to determine your full eligibility.
Please note: The bursary eligibility criteria has changed slightly compared to previous years.
Other things to consider
You'll also need to have:
- registered for the UWE Futures Award (if eligible)
- fully researched the overseas opportunity, even when it has been advertised via UWE Bristol
- taken out a worldwide travel insurance policy or, for opportunities contributing directly to your degree, confirmed your eligibility for the UWE Travel Insurance Policy (the Travel Insurance Policy, and additional overseas placement information, can be found in our confirming your placement section)
- a letter/formal email from the organisation/employer confirming your offer
- agreed to share updates from your time abroad (via social media or blogs) and provide these to the Go Global team.
Please note: We'll award the bursary on a first-come, first-served basis once full evidence has been provided. Once the funds are exhausted or we reach the end of the academic year, the bursary will come to a close.
The bursary will not be available to the following:
- part-time students
- postgraduate students
- non-home students
- students going overseas to participate in a UWE Study Abroad exchange programme which receives Erasmus funding
- retrospective applications.
How to apply
Check your Go Global Bursary eligibility
To start your application, you'll need to complete the Go Global Eligibility checker (InfoHub login required). If you're eligible, you'll receive an email inviting you to complete the Go Global Bursary Application form and the Overseas Activity form.
Phase one – December 2017 applications
You must complete and submit both the Go Global Bursary Application form and the Overseas Activity Form by Monday 18 December 2017. If you're unable to complete these two forms by the appropriate deadline, we'll process your application in phase two (see below).
If you're a successful phase one applicant, we'll aim to tell you and make award payments by Wednesday 31 January 2018. Please note: this'll be subject to fund availability.
Phase two – February 2018 applications
You must complete and submit both your Go Global Bursary application form and the Overseas Activity Form by Friday 30 March 2018.
If you're a successful phase two applicant, we'll aim to tell you and make award payments by Monday 30 April 2018.
Phase three – May 2018 applications
If funds permit, the Go Global Bursary may re-open for the final round of applications in May 2018.