UWE Cares definitions

Take a look at how the University's UWE Cares package of support defines care leavers, estranged students and carers.

Care leavers

Someone who has been in care for three months between the ages of 11 to 16 and/or lived in supported housing from the ages of 16 to 18 and has not returned to live with their parents since. There is no age limit.

Please note: you can identify your care leaver status by ticking the ‘time spent in care’ box on your UCAS application form.

View further details about funding for undergraduate care leavers

Estranged students

We will consider you to be estranged if you have not had verbal or written contact with both of your biological, adoptive parents or your only living parent for a significant period of time and this will not change. A significant period of time is usually considered 12 months or longer prior to the start of your course, but this can also depend on your circumstances.

View further details about funding for undergraduate estranged students


We will consider you to be a carer qualify if you provide regular and significant daily care to a disabled or ill family member. It’s expected that you will be living at the same address as the person to whom you provide care at the date of your UCAS application. However, you can still qualify for this bursary even if you move away from home to study at UWE Bristol.

The person that you provide care for must receive one of the following benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit that includes a disability premium as part of the assessment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Tax Credits that include a disability element.

Please get in touch with us at uwecares@uwe.ac.uk if you wish to discuss your eligibility.

View further details about funding for undergraduate carers

Useful external websites

Back to top