Education students in a classroom

UWE Cares

We are committed to supporting care leavers, estranged students and carers to succeed during their time at the University. Our dedicated team is there to offer guidance and support from the time of application, through the transition into the first year, and all the way to graduation.

UWE Cares film

This film by Rediat Abayneh, a UWE Bristol graduate and care leaver, explains how the UWE Cares scheme supports students.

Support from UWE Cares

The UWE Cares package of support provides support to care leavers, estranged students and carers.

A team of dedicated advisers will support you through the transition from applicant to UWE Bristol student, helping to make this time a little less daunting.

This support continues while you study and all the way through to graduation.

We are at the end of the phone or contactable by email and can answer any questions – we can coordinate support with other services across the university and signpost you to the right place to get the help you need.

We will contact you regularly throughout your course to see how you are getting on.

Financial support we offer

The financial support that we can provide includes:

  • £2,000 non-repayable bursary paid to you in your first year at the University and £1,000 in your second and third year (eligibility criteria apply)
  • access to Money Advisers for specialist funding advice (face to face or over the phone) and support with funding applications
  • regular financial health checks to help you to budget and manage your money
  • Graduation Bursary of £500 to help launch your graduate life.

Our accommodation guarantee

We also make an accommodation guarantee:

  • priority allocation to UWE Bristol accommodation for the whole of your course, not just your first year
  • we will pay your accommodation deposit, if required (conditions apply, please contact us for more information)
  • a guarantee of accommodation for 365 days, not just term time.

Care leavers and estranged students will have the chance to apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship to cover the cost of their accommodation. View details on the Unite Foundation website

Other things covered by the UWE Cares package of support

The UWE Cares package of support also includes:

  • a dedicated UWE Cares Society ran by the Students Union, so you can meet other students like you
  • a Get Set for UWE Bristol event to meet staff and fellow students in August before your course starts
  • a welcome event during Welcome Week to get all the info you need to start your course, and the chance to meet other students in your situation
  • the chance to become a paid Student Ambassador
  • if needed, we will pay for your specific learning difficulties tests and you will have a dedicated Disability Adviser
  • access to one-to-one Peer Assisted Learning sessions and dedicated library staff to help with study skills
  • if you are a carer, you will be able to negotiate extensions to course work and changes to your timetable
  • dedicated careers advice.

View the UWE Cares policy to find out more about the UWE Cares package of support.

UWE Cares definitions

Our definitions of care leavers, estranged students and carers

Back to top