Students and geese at UWE Frenchay Campus

Full-time EU student funding

Funding for tuition fees

If you satisfy the residency requirements as an EU student, you will be entitled to be charged the same fees and receive the same level of fee support as a UK resident student (or 'home' student). If you are unsure of the residency requirements, please refer to our definitions for determining fee status.

EU tuition fees following the UK’s European Union referendum

The UK Government has confirmed that if you are an EU student you can apply for a place on one of our undergraduate courses starting in Autumn 2017 without having to pay upfront tuition fees. You’ll be able to receive Government backed loans to cover your tuition fees and you’ll pay the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of your course. Read the full press release.

Funding for healthcare degrees

The government has announced changes to the funding for NHS courses for students starting after 1 September 2017.

The UWE Bristol courses affected by the proposed changes are:

  • Diagnostic Imaging
  • Nursing (adult, children’s, learning disabilities and mental health)
  • Midwifery, Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Radiotherapy and Oncology

Find out more about the funding for NHS courses 2017/18.

If you start your NHS course before 1 September 2017, your funding will stay as that described below for the full length of the course and will not be affected by the proposed changes. NHS Student Bursaries should pay your tuition fees as long as you satisfy the EU residency requirements.

Use the NHS Student Bursary Personal Eligibility Calculator to check your eligibility.

How to apply for fee support

From March 2016 you can apply for your tuition fee support as soon as you have been offered a place on your course.

Funding for non-healthcare degrees

If you are studying a non-NHS degree programme, you can apply for a fee loan from Student Finance to pay for your tuition fees each year. The fee loan is paid directly to UWE after you have registered on your programme.

When to apply

To ensure your application is processed before the start of your course, please apply for your loan as soon as possible. Applications are open now.

Funding for living expenses

If you meet certain residency requirements, your fee status may be 'home' (or UK resident) rather than EU. This means that you may get funding for your living costs on top of the financial help for your fees described above. That funding may come from the NHSBSA, Student Finance or the University.

See the UKCISA website for further information.

Category 1 – long residence in the UK

If you are an EU national and you have lived in the UK for the five years before the first year of your course starts you may be eligible for financial support for your living costs.

The relevant date is 1 September if you start the first year of your course in the autumn term. If you have only been in the UK studying full-time, then you must have been living in the EEA immediately before coming to the UK.

*The government announced (1 March 2016) that the definition of long residence is to be increased from three years to five years for students applying to Student Finance England after 24 March 2016.

You will not be affected by this change if:

  • you apply for your funding before this date
  • you are resident in Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland
  • you are applying for NHS-funding.

Category 2 – migrant worker status or child/spouse/civil partner of migrant worker

If you an non-UK EEA National, or a Swiss national who is in the UK as a worker, or the relevant family member of such a worker then you may qualify for living costs support under migrant worker status.  You must meet all of the below criteria:

  • A non-UK EEA national, or a Swiss National and resident in the UK as a worker or the relevant family member of such a worker. And;
  • You must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the relevant date* (unless you are an EEA/Swiss frontier worker or relevant family member of a frontier worker). And;
  • You must have been ordinarily resident in the UK or elsewhere in the EEA and/or Switzerland for three years before the relevant date.*

*The relevant date is 1 September if you start the first year of your course in the autumn term.

If you are successful with migrant worker status then there may/may not be obligations for you to continue working whilst studying:

A. If you have been working in the UK in employment that is linked to your programme of study, you will need to provide evidence of this to your funding body. This will mean that you do not need to work throughout your course.

B. If your work is not linked to your programme of study, you will need to work throughout your course in order to qualify for living cost support. If you lose your job during your course, you will lose entitlement to your living cost funding until you resume working.

  • You need to provide evidence of your employment to either Student Finance or the NHS BSA. You can apply as a migrant worker before your studies start or during your course.
  • You will need to work significant hours (up to 16 hours per week) while you study in order to maintain your migrant worker status.

If you are anticipating receiving financial support under this category, please check the government rules under the 'worker' section.

If you have queries about the evidence that you will need to provide, contact the UWE Money Advice and Funds Service.

Evidence of eligibility

Funding organisations will request documentary confirmation of your status. That will either be evidence of five years residence in the UK, or for category 2, evidence of three years' residence in the UK or EU and evidence of your (or your family’s) migrant worker status.

This can include wage slips, contracts of employment or worker registration details. As much of the living cost support is income assessed, they may also request documents confirming your household income.

Back to top