Two students sitting down talking

Funding for undergraduate carers

You may be entitled to additional financial support from UWE Bristol.

Government funding for carers

More details about the funding you may expect to receive and how to apply can be found on our Undergraduate Funding page.

There is no specific government funding for full-time students who are carers.  If you are a part-time student, you may continue to receive the Carers Allowance (see below).

Funding available from UWE Bristol

UWE Bursary (non-repayable) 2016

Full-time students who receive funding from Student Finance England (non-NHS funded) who meet the carers criteria for the UWE Bursary will receive £3,000 in the first year, paid in three instalments.

To be considered for the UWE Bursary:

  • You must be living with the person you are caring for up until the start of your course.
  • You must be receiving specific benefits relating to their illness or disability.

We will ask you for evidence of your caring responsibilities such as a statement from a professional person known to you, such as a teacher or doctor. Alternatively, you can provide evidence of receipt of Carers Allowance if you are receiving this before the start of your full-time course at UWE Bristol.

Students are only eligible to receive one bursary of £3,000 even if they also fall into another priority group, such as being a care leaver.

If you are unsure whether your situation fits into the above criteria, or if you have questions about the evidence we require then please email:

Part-time students will be eligible for a £500 bursary for each year of study.

Continuing full-time students who received a Bursary in previous years will receive £1,000 per year.

Learner Support Fund

If you are supported by Student Finance Wales, Northern Ireland, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, or the NHS, you will not be entitled to the UWE Bursary above. However, you will be a priority for support from the Learner Support Fund which can provide an equivalent level of non-repayable awards as the Bursary. Applications are means-tested.

More information can be found on the Learner Support Fund page.

Higher education and Carers Allowance

If you are receiving Carers Allowance, this will usually stop once you become a full time student, even if you continue living with the person you are caring for.

You may still be able to qualify for Carers Allowance if you are required to study less than 21 hours, if for example you are exempted from part of the course due to previous qualifications or experience. 

More information can be found on the NHS Choices website. If you have any questions about this, please email us on

Back to top